No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• read counts per transcript, edgeR, tophat

Hi everyone,

I'm using Illumina RNAseq to test for differential expression between two conditions. I have successfully mapped reads with tophat/bowtie, and used cufflinks/cuffcompare to test for differential expression.

A number of methods (edgeR, DEGseq, DESseq), however, ask for raw read counts rather FPKM.

Is there an easy way to go from tophat output (say the bedgraph or .sam) to raw read counts for each transcript (say using a gtf that I would supply)?

Thanks!

If I understand your question correctly, BEDTools has a utility called coverageBed that will compute the raw counts of reads in a BAM file among features in a BED or GTF file.

For example:
    Code:
    $ coverageBed -abam alignedReads.bam -b transcripts.gtf > transcript.cov.txt
    There is also a histogram (-hist) mode that will give you a histogram of coverage for each feature in the -b file. I have not yet updated the manual , but the help (-h) for this tools describes the output format.

Comment

Here is the script that I made for this purpose: http://www-huber.embl.de/users/ander...doc/count.html

Simon

Comment

Yeah, I have used bedtools for similar analysis and it is quite intuitive

Originally posted by quinlana View Post
        If I understand your question correctly, BEDTools has a utility called coverageBed that will compute the raw counts of reads in a BAM file among features in a BED or GTF file.

For example:
        Code:
        There is also a histogram (-hist) mode that will give you a histogram of coverage for each feature in the -b file. I have not yet updated the manual , but the help (-h) for this tools describes the output format.
        --
        bioinfosm

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Anders View Post
          Here is the script that I made for this purpose: http://www-huber.embl.de/users/ander...doc/count.html

Simon
          Simon, are there any specific reason to use Python2.5, because the cluster I can use only have Python2.4. And I trid to build the source codes using Python 2.4. When I ran "python setup.py build" I got the warning message which doesn't matter.

/usr/lib64/python2.4/distutils/dist.py:236: UserWarning: Unknown distribution option: 'requires'
          warnings.warn(msg)

However, when I ran "python setup.py install --prefix=...", I got the error message

byte-compiling $HOME/librarys/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/HTSeq/StepVector.py to StepVector.pyc
          File $HOME/librarys/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/HTSeq/StepVector.py", line 390
          start = index.start if index.start is not None else self.start_index()
          ^
          SyntaxError: invalid syntax

The reason seems to that "Conditional expressions" is not supported in Python2.4, how can I change the codes without upgrading to Python 2.5

Thanks

Ying
          Last edited by Auction; 04-09-2010, 12:46 PM.

Comment

When I started developing HTSeq, I had to make a decision on which Python version to require. I refrained from using any Python 2.6 features as many people still work with 2.5, but I didn't expect many 2.4 installations to be still around.

Python 2.5 brought a few nifty feature but I think I didn't use too many of them, and most are only syntactic sugar anyway. I guess that not too many changes would be needed to make it run on 2.4

But wouldn't it be much easier if you convinced your cluster admin to update the system? (Or install it yourself in your home directory: This takes only a couple of minute and Python typically builds from source out of the box.)

Python 2.5 was released 4 years ago, and by now, the release version is 2.6.5, and 2.7 is in alpha. You shouldn't need to waste your time to get software to run in such an out-of-date system.

Comment

Python 2.5 was released 4 years ago, and by now, the release version is 2.6.5, and 2.7 is in alpha. You shouldn't need to waste your time to get software to run in such an out-of-date system.
              Simon:
              You would be surprised to know that one of the clusters I use needs Python 2.3!! Hope fully they update it soon. Fortunately we have another cluster but some one else has to help me load HTseq on it as I do not have access to it.

Siva

Comment

When I started developing HTSeq, I had to make a decision on which Python version to require. I refrained from using any Python 2.6 features as many people still work with 2.5, but I didn't expect many 2.4 installations to be still around.

Python 2.5 brought a few nifty feature but I think I didn't use too many of them, and most are only syntactic sugar anyway. I guess that not too many changes would be needed to make it run on 2.4

But wouldn't it be much easier if you convinced your cluster admin to update the system? (Or install it yourself in your home directory: This takes only a couple of minute and Python typically builds from source out of the box.)

The reason I stick on Python 2.4 is that several clusters I can use all use Rock 5.2+Python2.4. By the way, I upgraded my workstation to Python2.6 and installed HTSeq, but it doesn't indicate support for paired-ends. Are there specific options for paired-ends? Thanks

Comment

For example:
                  Code:
                  I tried to run coverageBed for my BAM file from pair-end RNA-seq. When I compared the result in a certain gene to my calculation using Bio:B::Sam. It seems coverageBed don't consider the mate properly paired flag in the BAM file. Are there any options control for it? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Auction View Post
                    I tried to run coverageBed for my BAM file from pair-end RNA-seq. When I compared the result in a certain gene to my calculation using Bio:B::Sam. It seems coverageBed don't consider the mate properly paired flag in the BAM file. Are there any options control for it? Thanks
                    Hi,
                    You are correct, coverageBed processes every BAM entry in the BAM file provided. The rationale here is that one can use samtools to filter your data before passing to coverageBed. For example, to only count proper pairs, do the following (passing the output of samtools to coverageBed via a pipe, hence the "stdin" for the -abam parameter:

Code:
                    $ samtools -f 0x2 <BAM> | coverageBed -abam stdin -b transcripts.bed > transcripts.proper.cov
                    Does this help?

Comment

Hi,
                      You are correct, coverageBed processes every BAM entry in the BAM file provided. The rationale here is that one can use samtools to filter your data before passing to coverageBed. For example, to only count proper pairs, do the following (passing the output of samtools to coverageBed via a pipe, hence the "stdin" for the -abam parameter:

Code:
                      $ samtools -f 0x2 <BAM> | coverageBed -abam stdin -b transcripts.bed > transcripts.proper.cov
                      Does this help?
                      I see, thanks.

Comment

HT-Seq

Hi Simon,

Sorry to trouble you with with what is surely a silly question. I've just installed HT-Seq from source on my Mac. I've just tried to run a couple of basic commands to see if things were working:

python -m HTSeq.scripts.qa s_3_sequence.txt

but I'm getting an error message:

Code:
                        Traceback (most recent call last):
                          File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/runpy.py", line 85, in run_module
                            loader = get_loader(mod_name)
                          File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/pkgutil.py", line 456, in get_loader
                            return find_loader(fullname)
                          File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/pkgutil.py", line 466, in find_loader
                            for importer in iter_importers(fullname):
                          File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/pkgutil.py", line 422, in iter_importers
                            __import__(pkg)
                        ImportError: No module named HTSeq.scripts
                        I'm running the script from within the HT-Seq directory. I placed the HT-Seq folder within my Applications directory.

Any idea what I've done wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisbala View Post
                          I've just installed HT-Seq from source on my Mac. I've just tried to run a couple of basic commands to see if things were working:

python -m HTSeq.scripts.qa s_3_sequence.txt

but I'm getting an error message:
                          It seems that Python does not know were you put the HTSeq modules.

Once you have unpacked the HTSeq tarball, you should run the commands

Code:
                             python setup.py build
                             python setup.py install
                          The second command puts it somewhere where Python should find it.

If this does not work, use only the first command. It makes a subdirectory 'build', and in there something like 'lib.macos' (or called similarly), and in there, 'HTSeq'. You can just tell Python to search for HTSeq there by writing

Code:
                          export PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:/<the_path_to_your_directory/build/lib.macos/
                          and Python will find it there.

Do not run the script in the directory that you have just unpacked, go somewhere else, as Python otherwise tends to get confused.

Comment

almost there

Thanks Simon,

THIngs seem to be working...

Will be try DESeq as soon as I get these counts finalized.

One question: for the counting script, you ask for a gff, and elsewhere you use gtf. I've noticed in tophat as well that is some cases gffs are requested (or output) and sometimes gtf.

Is there are particular aspect of gff that makes it more suitable for this counting algorithm?

just curious...

Comment

Hi Chris,

GTF is just a tightening of the GFF specification, i.e., every GTF file is also a GFF file. The tightening is mainly with respect to the "feature type" column: in GTF, it has to be one of "exon", "CDS", "stop_codon", etc., while in GFF, it is not clearly said which words should be used.

In the htseq-count script, I give the user the option to tell the script how the features are named, and hence, it works with GFF as well.

See here:
                              GFF: http://www.sanger.ac.uk/resources/so.../gff/spec.html
                              GTF: http://mblab.wustl.edu/GTF22.html

Simon
                              Last edited by Simon Anders; 04-15-2010, 09:11 AM. Reason: add links

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses