Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you tried adding "VALIDATION_STRINGENCY=LENIENT" to your picard command? Default value is STRICT and sometime it leads to picard throwing errors like this.

It does looks like reformat.sh took out some of the reads so the problem reads have been hopefully addressed.

Comment

• Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
      Have you tried adding "VALIDATION_STRINGENCY=LENIENT" to your picard command? Default value is STRICT and sometime it leads to picard throwing errors like this.
      Yes indeed, but it will still be an ERROR.

However, after more tinkering I was able to come up with a combination that worked.

Code:
      reformat.sh -Xmx5g in=qSortA.bam out=qSortA_reads.fq
      reformat.sh -Xmx5g int=t addcolon=t uniquenames=t in=qSortA_reads.fq out=out_reads.fq
      repair.sh -Xmx5g in=out_reads.fq out1=reads1.fq out2=reads2.fq
      Taking those reads into alignment and so forth will pass ValidateSamFile. Im guessing these actions are allowing me to completely rewrite the pairing status, which I am perfectly ok with.

Thank you for the comments and help!

Comment

• I want to subsample 10 million reads from both an interleaved reads file and a singletons reads file at the same time. Can reformat.sh do this?

Comment

• @Noobie: I don't think so. You will have to do them independently. What is the use case here, if I may ask?

Comment

• Hi!

I want to create a (small) bacterial RNAseq testset from transcripts using randomreads.sh:

Code:
            randomreads.sh reads=30000 ref=transcripts.fasta metagenome=t out1=test_RNA_1.fq out2=test_RNA_2.fq paired=t
            Mapping it back to the transcripts:

Code:
            bbmap.sh ref=transcripts.fasta  in1=test_RNA_1.fq in2=test_RNA_2.fq covstats=RNA.cov
            Results
            Code:
            Reads:                               	60000
            Mapped reads:                        	54225
            Mapped bases:                        	8063372
            Ref scaffolds:                       	562
            Ref bases:                           	521537

Percent mapped:                      	90.375
            Percent proper pairs:                	64.822
            Average coverage:                    	15.461
            Standard deviation:                    	51.768
            Percent scaffolds with any coverage: 	59.96
            Percent of reference bases covered:  	45.87

Mapping it to the genome:

Code:
            Mapped reads:                        	54104
            Mapped bases:                        	8061481
            Ref scaffolds:                       	1
            Ref bases:                           	592529

Percent mapped:                      	90.173
            Percent proper pairs:                	64.573
            Average coverage:                    	13.605
            Standard deviation:                    	48.628
            Percent scaffolds with any coverage: 	100.00
            Percent of reference bases covered:  	41.02

Why are the mapping percentages so low, what I missing with either generating the reads or mapping them back?

(bowtie2 gives an even worse result..
            15482 (51.61%) aligned concordantly 0 times
            14351 (47.84%) aligned concordantly exactly 1 time
            167 (0.56%) aligned concordantly >1 times
            )

Comment

• randomreads.sh

Hi!

I want to created a (small) RNAseq test set from a small bacterial plasmid. So I used :
              Code:
              randomreads.sh reads=30000 paired=t metagenome=t  ref=transcripts.fasta out1=test_RNA_1.fq out2=test_RNA_2.fq
              (Then I get 30k reads for each pair. No problem, I guess that's because the default is single end)

Then I mapped back the reads with BBmap
              Code:
              bbmap.sh ref=Rhizobium_Leguminosarum_plasmid_NZ_CP025014.1_transcripts.fasta  in1=Unlock_test_RNA_1.fq in2=Unlock_test_RNA_2.fq covstats=RNA.cov
              Results:
              Code:
              Mapped reads:                        	54225
              Mapped bases:                        	8063372
              Ref scaffolds:                       	562
              Ref bases:                           	521537

Percent mapped:                      	90.375
              Percent proper pairs:                	64.822
              Average coverage:                    	15.461
              Standard deviation:                    	51.768
              Percent scaffolds with any coverage: 	59.96
              Percent of reference bases covered:  	45.87
              The mapping percentages seem very low to me. Mapping to the genome gives similar results.
              I am using randomreads.sh in the wrong way for this?

Comment

• Since you asked for 30K reads you got 30K paired-end reads.

I would sugegst trying without the metagenome=t option for a single small input fasta. If you do have the entire genome then use that in your randomread generation step along with the plasmid.

Comment

• Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                  Since you asked for 30K reads you got 30K paired-end reads.

I would sugegst trying without the metagenome=t option for a single small input fasta. If you do have the entire genome then use that in your randomread generation step along with the plasmid.
                  Yes, that does seem to increase the mapping percentages. Any idea why it is not working with meta option? Changes read length and insert size does not seem to do much..
                  The plasmid is about 0.5MB with 562 transcripts. Median transcript size is 830bp, so that could be a bit short, (but then I would expect the same with the meta option off)

I will also look for another suitable (small) genome. I don't want to add the complete genome because it should finish quick, since it's for testing purposes of tools and pipelines.

(btw, one other small thing. Adding any statistic file in the arguments will give the small summary in the stdout (like I posted before). Otherwise it will not be printed. Not sure if that is expected behavior)

Comment

• Metagenome option is supposed to take in multiple (genome) sequences to generate an artificial metagenomic dataset.

BBMap writes stats to STDERR by default. So you can capture that.

Comment

• From the description of the option I understood it can be used for RNA as well:

metagenome=f Assign scaffolds a random exponential coverage level, to simulate a metagenomic or RNA coverage distribution

Which makes sense in my view since I just give multiple transcripts instead of genomes (albeit short compared to a genome)

So why are so many reads not mapping back even thought almost all of it with an even distributed coverage does map.

What I meant with the summary part, if I run just bbmap in its simplest form:
                      Code:
                      bbmap.sh ref=transcripts.fasta  in1=read_1.fq  in2=read_2.fq
                      the stderr does not contain this part:
                      Code:
                      Reads:                               	120000
                      Mapped reads:                        	111248
                      Mapped bases:                        	8357095
                      Ref scaffolds:                       	1
                      Ref bases:                           	592529

Percent mapped:                      	92.707
                      Percent proper pairs:                	56.370
                      Average coverage:                    	14.104
                      Standard deviation:                    	46.411
                      Percent scaffolds with any coverage: 	100.00
                      Percent of reference bases covered:  	41.67
                      But it does with adding a covstats=cov.stats for example.

Comment

• Unfortunately Brian would be the only person who can provide an authoritative answer and he no longer participates on this forum. You may want to try emailing him with your question directly.

BBMap provides a wide range of coverage/histogram/stats outputs. Default output (while voluminous does not contain coverage stats) but mainly contains % alignments which most users want to see by default. In-line help (run bbmap.sh without any options/inputs) details different options available for coverage/histogram/stats outputs.

Comment

• That's indeed unfortunate. I might try sending an email. A previous bug report was solved very quickly!

One of the reasons I like about BBMap is indeed the wide range of statistics it can generate. Just noticed that final summary percentages like I showed, are to me the most useful thing to look at on first check was missing by default.

And thanks a lot for your answers and your time GenoMax!

Comment

• Dear BBMap users or Brian,

I have a database of about 800 proteins and all I would like to do is create an abundance table of "hits" to these 800 proteins for each one of my 30 samples. Samples as columns, genes as rows, cells as counts. Can BBMap help me create this abundance table?

Thanks

Comment

• BBMap is not designed to work with protein data. You will have to find a different tool.

Take a look at blat from UCSC's Jim Kent. That should produce the stats in parse-able tab-delimited columner format. You will need to do post-processing to get the table you are looking for.

Comment

• another program that is often used for these cases is DIAMOND

https://github.com/bbuchfink/diamond

But like GenoMax said you have to do some post processing of the output to get to the format you want..

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                                0 responses