No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mRNA preparation for RNA-Seq

Hi all,

Regarding RNA preparation for mRNA seq (we are using Illumina), we are using Qiagen's Oligotex kit for poly-T selection. So far we have observed that in the final sequencing, approximately 40% of our short reads are ribosomal RNA derived.

Can people perhaps share how much rRNA sequence is present in their Illumina RNA seq runs, and what sort of mRNA selection are they using?

Also, are any users familiar with the of Ribo-minus rRNA depletion kit from Invitrogen?

we have some experience with Ribominus. However, your mRNA quality needs to be good for good removal. Fragments of rRNA without the consensus sequences will not be removed.

Comment

Originally posted by Eshchar View Post
      Hi all,

Regarding RNA preparation for mRNA seq (we are using Illumina), we are using Qiagen's Oligotex kit for poly-T selection. So far we have observed that in the final sequencing, approximately 40% of our short reads are ribosomal RNA derived.

Can people perhaps share how much rRNA sequence is present in their Illumina RNA seq runs, and what sort of mRNA selection are they using?

Also, are any users familiar with the of Ribo-minus rRNA depletion kit from Invitrogen?
      I have tried Oligotex kit but not satisfied with the quality of cDNA synthesized (probably due to degradation). Have you tried two rounds of oligo dT priming using Dynabeads mRNA purification kit as recommended in the mRNA-seq protocol?

Check out Brian's reply at the following link http://groups.google.com/group/solex...9ff861ee6089a2.

Hope this helps.

Comment

We've been dong several hundreds of mRNA-seq protocol using Dynabeads with extremely consistant and high quality output over last 16 months. Dynabeads is now packaged in Illumina mRNA-seq kit.

Comment

Thank you all for the advice, we have ordered the newer version of the mRNA-Seq kit from Illumina. I think we'll try that first and then change one thing at a time if it is still not good enough.

Comment

The illumina kit has worked good in our hands... with little ribosomal content.

Comment

We tried the ribominus kit and it worked well - I would agree with doxologist though, you need good quality! It is a good alterantive if you want to remove rRNA whilst not avoiding not polyA'd RNAs (small RNAs etc...)

Ieuan

Comment

We subjected RNA to 2 rounds of PolyA purification from Promega and also to 1 round of Ribominus.

After analyzing via qRTPCR for both 18S and 28S rRNA we found the PolyA kit almost completely eliminated rRNA after 2 rounds.

Next we created primers for some large genes near the extreme 5' region. Some of these had been previously verified as low expression levels via more 3' primers. We found these transcripts to be represented in the polyA 2x.

Ribominus was not effective at all, perhaps because our rRNA's did not contain the consensus sequence.

Comment

Hi wiggy

I have tried Ribominus and it does not work.. might be my RNA is degraded.. I have never analyzed 18S and 28S rRNA by qRTPCR. Could you please let me know how to do it?

Thanks
                  walle

Comment

Hi,

Our latest batch of libraries looks much better, with library preps only using the default Illumina mRNA-Seq kits (and whatever beads they contain). rRNA content seemed to be only around 2%-4% for each of the six libraries. Seems the problem was only in the old sample prep method before the dedicated RNA-Seq kits came out, and 2 rounds of mRNA selection using magnetic beads did the trick. Can't comment on Ribominus then, at the moment we're still only looking in poly-adenylated RNA.

Thanks again for the advice.
                    Eshchar

Comment

My sequences were on ncbi so I just used it to design primers.

Or you could find highly conserved regions, create primers, sequence, and repeat until you get the whole sequence.

I believe this step is imperative. If you are using Poly A purification then any Rnase contamination or degradation before the last purification step will lead to sequences further from the A tail not being incorporated and thus not sequenced.

This is why we designed primers around the 5' end of the cdna.

Comment

rRNA depletion

Does anybody have experience for rRNA depletion from drosophila transcriptome?

Ribominus is said to be specific for human and mouse or yeast and bacteria. Is there anything that you may suggest?

Thanks!!

Comment

Epicentre sells a RiboZero kit. They also sell library kits which are much cheaper than ILMNs. We just got both of these but haven't tried them yet.

Comment

I used RiboMinus of Epicentre and got a weird result. RNA concentration after rRNA depletion was very low (predictable), but that low that I could hardly detect it by nanodrop. Does anyone know what rRNA depleted sample from HELA cells should look like (concentration, quality control values etc)? Can you detect RNA concentration after rRNA removal? I got about 20 ng/ul, but measurements are inconsistent and both 260:280 and 240/260 ratios are very low.

Comment

Have you tried running your ribo-depleted RNA on Bioanalyzer? You won't be able to get a proper concentration reading but you should be able to see the size distribution of your RNA.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses