Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi. Anybody got any idea why bbduk is only reading (and trimming) 364 reads from my file.

The HPC is using BBDUK 36.32.

Here's my code:

bbduk.sh in1=Vireo1_R1_001.fastq.gz in2=Vireo1_R2_001.fastq.gz out1=Vireo1_R1_trimmed.fastq.gz out2=Vireo1_R2_trimmed.fastq.gz ref=/opt/bbmap/36.32/bbmap/resources/adapters.fa threads=12 k=19 mink=5 hdist=1 ktrim=r qtrim=r minlength=36 trimq=14

I checked the header of both the input and (short) outputfile. They both appear to be formatted correctly, so there isn't a file corruption issue that I can detect. Also, zcat shows a reasonable number of reads for the input file (about 26 million reads). And the input file size is correct.

I'm stumped.

Comment

• That is a pretty old version of BBMap. I suggest that you start by upgrading to the latest first.

It seems unlikely but are the rest of the reads failing other limits you have set?

Comment

• When you say you checked the header do you mean you looked at the the 364th and 365th read? What happens if you take some other random set of reads from the input and use that? Like
        zcat Vireo1_R1_001.fastq.gz | head -2000 | tail -1000 > test_R1.fastq
        (and for R2). What happens if you just do read1 (are they out of synch?).
        Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

• Can genome be used to filter RNA-seq reads?

Hi!

I have plant RNA-seq reads that are contaminated with fungal reads. I have access to a draft genome of the fungus. Is it possible to use BBduk or Seal to filter fungal RNA reads away from plant RNA reads using the DNA sequence of the contaminant?

Thanks,
          Chris

Comment

• You should use bbsplit for this purpose. Provide the genome for your fungus alongside the plant and bin the reads.

Comment

• Hey GenoMax,

Thank you for the reply! I had not heard of bbsplit. Unfortunately, I dont have genomic sequence of the plant. Only the fungus.

How does this change my options?

Thanks!

Comment

• @cb841011: Since this was also cross-posted and discussed on Biostars I will add a reference to the thread here: https://www.biostars.org/p/302864/

You could always use a closely related grass genome (if one is available). There would be some loss of real data (or gain of false positives) but since you don't have the genome of your grass it is about the best you can do.

Since you have
                Draft genome of the fungus
                RNA-seq reads from non-infected grass
                RNA-seq reads from infected grass (contains grass and fungal transcripts)
                RNA-seq reads from the fungus growing in culture
                You could assemble transcriptomes (using Trinity) from non-infected grass and then fungus. Use those to see if you are able to find any new transcripts showing up in the infected grass.

Comment

• Error

Hello,

I am trying to run bbduk on my server with the following command:
                  ~/soft/bbmap/bbduk.sh in=myfile.fastq.gz out=myfile_filtered.fq outm=myfile_low_complexity.fq entropy=0.5

and I get this error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java.util.concurrent.ThreadLocalRandom
                  at java.lang.J9VMInternals.verifyImpl(Native Method)
                  at java.lang.J9VMInternals.verify(J9VMInternals.java:72)
                  at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initialize(J9VMInternals.java:134)
                  at jgi.BBDukF.<clinit>(BBDukF.java:4267)
                  at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initializeImpl(Native Method)
                  at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initialize(J9VMInternals.java:200)
                  Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: java.util.concurrent.ThreadLocalRandom
                  at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:423)
                  at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:660)
                  at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:346)
                  at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:626)
                  ... 6 more
                  Could not find the main class: jgi.BBDukF. Program will exit.

Any idea about why this could be happening?

A second question: If I want to change the WAYS=7 to WAYS=1 in order to be able to run bbduk on my laptop, how should I do to change it and re-compile, as suggested in the README file?

Thanks,

Nicolas.

Comment

• What OS are you using? Did you move any of the files around after you downloaded and uncompressed the software?

I am not sure where the WAYS=7 option is in README. You should be able to run bbduk on your laptop. Set threads=N if you want to limit resource usage.

Comment

• I have run into a bit of a problem with the adapter trimming. It keeps leaving the sequence "AGATCGG" at the end when I run example:

./bbduk.sh -Xmx1g in1=read1_R1.fastq in2=read1_R2.fastq out1=cleanread1_R1.fastq out2=cleanread1_R2.fastq ktrim=r ref=resources/adapters.fa k=28 mink=12 hdist=1

My library was made with the NEBNext ultra directional kit with NEBnext primers 1-48. Is there an updated adapters.fa list that will hit these sequences?

Comment

• @horvathdp: You can provide NEBnext primers in a separate file as multi-fasta sequence. Then use that file with bbduk.sh. Also with paired-end reads use options "tpe tbo" to get residual bases at end of reads.

Comment

• Thanks! for those options, do I just add -tpe -tbo to the command?

Comment

• Originally posted by horvathdp View Post
                            Thanks! for those options, do I just add -tpe -tbo to the command?
                            No hyphens. Just tpe and tbo.

Comment

• trimming Long and Short

Hi, do I need to follow a different approach in trimming and filtering Short vs long mate pair reads (Nextera)? And if yes could someone elaborate the pipeline?

Comment

• Genomax, do we have to trim Mate pair reads differently? I ask because they have the internal adapter. I am not asking about the Nextera mate pair. I ask for the reads made by MatePairSamplePrep v2. Do we have to reverse complement them?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                                0 responses