No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNP function prediction in non-human species

Hello,

I'm trying predict SNP function for a few thousand non-synonymous coding sequence SNPs in cattle. I've looked through the documentation for SIFT and PolyPhen, but can't easily see if they can be configured to work with bovine genome data. Does anyone have any experience of using these or other tools for SNP function prediction in non-human species?

Thanks,

Stephen

I am not sure if it could do what you want, but have you tried variant_effect_predistor of Ensembl http://www.ensembl.org/tools.html?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I've since used the Ensembl variant effect predictor, and it does something very similar to Annovar (which I've already used). The only difference is that the Ensembl program also outputs the amino acid residues for exonic SNPs.

What neither program does (and what I would like to do) is to use multiple sequence alignment data from many taxa to identify which SNPs affect highly conserved amino acid positions. Only tools like Sift and PolyPhen appear to do this, and I still haven't found a way to apply them to large batches of non-human data.

Last edited by spark; 01-22-2012, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Spark did you solve the problem?
        I want to do the same, I installed the SIFT in Unix, but I did not find any information how should be the input file and command line. I know it is possible to perform with SIFT in Linux many sequences, but I don’t know how to do it.

I noticed that there are few databases when you install the SIFT for human, cattle, chicken, etc. So I think we need a list of all protein sequences with the substitutions, but I am not sure and I dont know what are the command lines...

Thanks

Comment

Does anyone know if there is a SNP effect predictor for variants discovered in cDNA sequences for non-model organisms? I did a de novo transcriptome assembly and discovered variants in those data. No reference genome exists for my species. I can sort out synonymous vs. non-synonymous SNPs using BLAST to related species' proteins, but I was hoping for some more sophisticated prediction of the variant effect.

Given the discussion above, it sounds like it might not exist.

Comment

Try using snpEff. If you have a reference_genome.fasta and either a .gff or .gtf file of the CDS regions, you can build your own custom database for SNP effect prediction. In the case of bovine, if the reference exists in Ensembl, the database can be easily downloaded in the latest version of snpEff.

Comment

Okay, thanks. But no options if you don't have a reference genome?

Comment

Is there any tool, which predicts for each variant the probability, that this variant is damaging (like SIFT or PolyPhen for human). As far as I understand snpEff it just shows you the region of the variant and the effect like i.e. aminoacid-change, but not the damaging prediction score. I found also Mouse SNP Miner, but it seems, that this tools works just for known variants.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses