No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA-Seq simulation

Hello,

does anyone know of any software that produces simulated RNA-Seq data. I am interested in questions like how many reads are needed for a good assembly with velvet for example, what read errors produce which problems in the assembly. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

You are probably better off downloading an RNA-Seq dataset from the Short Read Archive -- this is more likely to represent the real biases you will find in RNA-Seq data (such as strand, 3' vs 5', etc)

Comment

you could check out FluxSimulator.

Comment

The FluxSimulator looks interesting, but someone needs to fix the pages -- there is a consistent typo which makes it impossible to read them aloud in polite company!

Comment

These are no doubt good suggestions. One simple way would be to take the mRNA sequences from the public database and chop them up randomly (in-silico). Repeat this process couple of times untill you don't get the desired coverage.

Comment

you can use dwgsim from the dnaa package. you can give read number, read length (even for paired-end data) and a reference.

maq contains also a simulation tool which seems similar to dwgsim.

Comment

The FluxSimulator looks interesting, but someone needs to fix the pages -- there is a consistent typo which makes it impossible to read them aloud in polite company!
              Keith,
              someone fixed the page, I think you can read it aloud now the timestamp of the former html file read 00:58, was probably not the best moment of that day. Thanks for bringing this typo to attention!

Comment

Link to FLuxSimulator paper.

Could any one please point to me the link to FluxSimulator paper? I do find out in their web pages. Thanks.

Comment

as far as I know, there is no paper about FluxSimulator.

Comment

USeq: RNA-Seq Simulator (requires *real* data as input, however)

There's also "RNA Seq Simulator," which is part of USeq---note that this requires REAL RNA-seq data as an input, and then it simulates various types of factors that cause differential gene expression.

Comment

Originally posted by Zimbobo View Post
                      Hello,

does anyone know of any software that produces simulated RNA-Seq data. I am interested in questions like how many reads are needed for a good assembly with velvet for example, what read errors produce which problems in the assembly. Thanks in advance for any pointers.
                      Please try our simulator BEERS:

Comment

Originally posted by greggrant View Post
                        Please try our simulator BEERS:

http://cbil.upenn.edu/BEERS/
                        Hi,sir, I have tried BEERS. Thank you for your good simulator. It did me a big favor.
                        Some questions:
                        (1)BEERS generates reads like: genes from combined gene models(RefSeq, AceView...)-->transcripts-->add polymorphisms-->reads-->add sequence error and position bias. Is it right?
                        (2)How does BEERS decide which and how many gene and transcript to be "expressed"?
                        (3)Reads are generated from transcripts according to which distribution?

Thank you very much!
                        Last edited by jingjinghao; 10-16-2012, 07:02 AM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

There seems to be a broad range of RNA-Seq simulators. Has anyone done a comparison, or know of a paper that examines them empirically? I'd just be interested to know how their different features compare. The list I have compiled is this so far (apologies for doubles), some of these may be only for DNA-Seq simulation.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/13/74 - GemSim

http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals...rmatics.btr708 - ART

https://github.com/jstjohn/SimSeq - SimSeq

https://popmodels.cancercontrol.canc...lux-simulator/ -FLUX Simulator

https://github.com/lh3/wgsim - wgsim in SAMtools

http://omictools.com/simulators2/ - Massive range of DNA-seq simulators

http://useq.sourceforge.net/cmdLnMen...NASeqSimulator RNAseq simulator

http://cbil.upenn.edu/BEERS/ BEERS

Importantly, is it better to use one of these simulators than to just download something from a Short Read archive? In which contexts?

Comment

I imagine such a paper would be difficult to get published (I can already see the reviewer comments of "not novel" and "too trivial", even though such a paper would end up being useful for the community).

Regarding when you might use a simulator vs. an actual experiment, the only benefit to a simulator is that you can know exactly where the reads should align and where their mismatches are. If you need to test the accuracy of an aligner, then that's something you need. Similarly, if you want to test methods for calling SNPs or finding RNA editing sites, then you need a dataset with known changes. Of course the error profiles of the resulting reads are never perfect, so you end up needing to use a real dataset too, just to compare raw alignment/call rates (you obviously can't know accuracy from that).

Comment

Thanks for your reply and helpful clarification.

It sounds like a comparison of simulators might be good for a blog post - shame that a helpful piece of work like that wouldn't get published (I have to agree it would not be considered novel, despite there being no existing published comparison paper).

I am exploring error signatures produced through biological processes in the sequencing workflow, and am attempting to reproduce the workflow in silica. From what I gather, Flux Simulator might have some love for me but if not I'll get Python to do the heavy lifting.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                              • seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                              0 responses