Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbler outputting garbage

I am wondering if anyone else has seen the following problem: I am using RNAseq to identify viral sequences among transcripts from an infected plant. Assembly of a single chip of Ion Torrent data was taking far too long (> 1 week - that's a separate issue) so I decided to use BLAST to identify reads matching short pieces of reference sequence from the virus in question. The matching reads were then assembled with Newbler 2.8. Three contigs were produced, the largest of which was 678 bp in length, contained 3/4 of the reads going into the assembly (3,700/4,500) and was reported as having high quality (most bases were Phred 64). Problem is, none of the resulting contigs match the viral sequences used to identify the constituent reads. Nor do any of the constituent reads match the assembly!

Most of the reads had very good matches to the reference (< 3 mismatches) and assembly with phrap (using reads generated with sffinfo) produced contigs with lower reported quality values but which DO match the viral references. Thus Newbler is outputting assemblies which it reports as high quality but which are, in fact, complete garbage.
    Last edited by drdna; 12-06-2012, 06:15 AM.

Maybe you are giving newbler too many reads? How many bases do you give, and how many do you expect in your contigs? In other words, that is the coverage in raw reads you feed into newbler?

Comment

Coverage is approx. 50-fold. - not overly high. Main problem is that the contigs produced have ZERO similarity to the input reads. I could understand it if too much coverage produced too many contigs, or redundancy in the assembly due to experimentally-induced errors but no similarity whatsoever?

Comment

Well, then I don't know either. I'd stick to your phrap results...

Comment

Both gsMapper and gsAssembler v2.7 are buggy and 454 is either unable or have no will/resources to fix them. I gave up on 2.7 and get back to 2.5p1.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses