No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paired-end vs. mate-pair

Hi all,
    we are planning on doing some whole genome sequencing and I have a question. I have been under the impression that paired-end sequencing is the best method to use, but now some of the people here are telling me that we should use mate-pair.

While I know the differences between the two methods, I am not sure which is the best one to use. Does anyone have any thoughts on which one is better, or know of a pub that has compare the two methods?

Thanks for your help and thoughts.

Mate-pair is a specific type of library; paired-end is a type of sequencing. They are not two different methods; in fact, mate-pair libraries require paired-end sequencing.

The decision to use mate-pair vs. standard libraries depends upon your application.

Comment

Mate pair allows you to have your pairs be much farther apart, which can be more informative than the standard paired-end protocol.

The downside is that it's a more complicated protocol, and it can be contaminted with ordinary paired-end reads, which I image can make analysis more difficult.

Comment

The other class of challenge from mate pair data are false mates -- cases in which the ligation step brings two unrelated molecules together. The panda genome paper is an example where this was a very serious issue.

Comment

This site describes some of the potential restrictions of the mate-pair library. I also found in this thread:

Originally posted by flobpf View Post
          I think paired end refers to sequencing from the ENDS of a DNA fragment. If you're doing 75-bp paired end read using an insert size of 300bp, then the machine will sequence 1-75 and 300-225 (for simplicity, omitting the adapters)

Mate pair requires a completely different protocol and is typically over longer distances such as 2-5kb. If you want to sequence a 5kb mate pair library, then 5kb fragments of DNA are isolated on the gel, the ends are biotinylated, the fragment is circularized and sheared. So now when you select using streptavidin, you'll get the fragment that has the ENDS of the original 5kb fragment. This fragment is then sequenced.

Mate pair is more relevant in genome assembly, especially for covering repetitive sequences. Paired end can be used for anything - RNA, DNA.

You can get more information on the Illumina site:

I'm not sure how 454 or other methods define these terms

Comment

Hi all,
            I am trying to prepare mate pair library. I dont wanna use Illumina kit as it is costlier. Do any one have the protocol using other chemical supplies? can I get it?

Thanks
            Meganathan

Comment

I remember that because of the single read length, the 454 defined "paired-end" as "mate-pair" from Illumina.

Comment

I find Illumina's explanation for paired-end quite lacking. Wikipedia has a better explanation

Comment

Mate-pairs are wonderful if you're dealing with particularly tricky assemblies, CNVs, or looking for other structural variations (translocs, etc) but may not be worth it if you don't have any of these criteria.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses