Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SeqGSEA: Gene Set Enrichment Analysis of RNA-Seq Data

I am glad to introduce to you guys a new Bioconductor package, SeqGSEA, developed by our group. The detailed description of this package is:

SeqGSEA: Gene set enrichment analysis of high-throughput RNA-Seq data by integrating differential expression and splicing. Using negative binomial distribution to model read count data, which accounts for sequencing biases and biological variation. Statistical significance of each gene set investigated is reached by subject permutation. Based on the permutation, statistical significance regarding to each gene's differential expression and splicing can also be achieved , respectively.

The package can be accessed at the URL:
    The Bioconductor project aims to develop and share open source software for precise and repeatable analysis of biological data. We foster an inclusive and collaborative community of developers and data scientists.

Should you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please feel free to email me at (xi.wang (at) newcastle.edu.au). Thanks.
    Xi Wang

Could you offer an example and describe how to use this package for RNA-seq data analysis?

Comment

Originally posted by xkcao View Post
      Could you offer an example and describe how to use this package for RNA-seq data analysis?
      Thanks for your message. I have included an example in Section 6 in the package's vignette available at http://bioconductor.org/packages/rel...oc/SeqGSEA.pdf

Any further questions or comments please feel free to let me know. Thanks.
      Xi Wang

Comment

I am sorry, but it is not available for R version 2.15.1. Is it still available?

Comment

The package SeqGSEA started with R version 3.0.0. Perhaps you need to install the latest release of R. If you are not happy with the latest R, and if you are based on Linux platform, you can download the tar ball of the package at

The Bioconductor project aims to develop and share open source software for precise and repeatable analysis of biological data. We foster an inclusive and collaborative community of developers and data scientists.

and type 'R CMD INSTALL SeqGSEA_1.0.2.tar.gz' to install.

Cheers
          Xi
          Xi Wang

Comment

Using EasyRNASeq for SeqGSEA

The latest vignette claims one can use easyRNAseq for read counts. Using easyRNAseq, should one count exons, or genes? Also, how should the file be outputted, as a summarized experiment? A count table? Normalized values for DESeq?

Comment

Originally posted by master_shake View Post
              The latest vignette claims one can use easyRNAseq for read counts. Using easyRNAseq, should one count exons, or genes? Also, how should the file be outputted, as a summarized experiment? A count table? Normalized values for DESeq?
              Thanks for checking the latest version of SeqGSEA :-)

You should also count reads on exons, and output the read counts per sample. As to the format, please refer to the files in the directory:

Code:
              dat.dir = system.file("extdata", package="SeqGSEA", mustWork=TRUE)
              Perhaps I will provide an easier way to connect easyRNAseq and SeqGSEA in the upcoming versions.

Cheers
              Xi
              Xi Wang

Comment

Just wondering, what is a geneset file?
                How do you define the geneset file?
                Any example format?
                Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by wilson90 View Post
                  Just wondering, what is a geneset file?
                  How do you define the geneset file?
                  Any example format?
                  Thank you.
                  Thanks for considering SeqGSEA.

The gene sets can be downloaded from http://www.broadinstitute.org/gsea/msigdb/index.jsp

Or in GMT format if you want to specify yourself
                  Xi Wang

Comment

I noticed that SeqGSEA uses the object CountDataSet from DESeq. As I am currently using DESeq2, the main object for analyses are DESeqDataSet and cannot be adopted directively in SeqGSEA. I guess these two things are similar, but is there an easy way to transform DESeqDataSet to CountDataSet?

Comment

Sample data available?

Hi,

I came across the SeqGSEA package for GSEA of RNA-seq data.
                      We extensively work on cancer data sets and found this tool to be quite intriguing.

I was wondering if there is sample data set available to understand all the formats of the file. I am already have the DESEQ count files available.

~Thanks,
                      Rini

Comment

Originally posted by Yvone View Post
                        I noticed that SeqGSEA uses the object CountDataSet from DESeq. As I am currently using DESeq2, the main object for analyses are DESeqDataSet and cannot be adopted directively in SeqGSEA. I guess these two things are similar, but is there an easy way to transform DESeqDataSet to CountDataSet?
                        I will try to move to DESeq2 in the future but at present the most easy way to deal with this issue is just rerun DESeq analysis using the SeqGSEA pipeline. We have already provided one all-in command to go through all analyses.

Cheers
                        Xi
                        Xi Wang

Comment

Originally posted by rpauly View Post
                          Hi,

I came across the SeqGSEA package for GSEA of RNA-seq data.
                          We extensively work on cancer data sets and found this tool to be quite intriguing.

I was wondering if there is sample data set available to understand all the formats of the file. I am already have the DESEQ count files available.

~Thanks,
                          Rini
                          A set of example data can be found by executing the following command:
                          system.file("extdata", package="SeqGSEA", mustWork=TRUE)
                          Xi Wang

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply.

I have other questions.
                            1). Regarding independent filtering of weakly expressed genes in DE analyses, is it also needed in SeqGSEA?
                            2). Can I apply multi-factor design in SeqGSEA? In DESeq, I applied glm models to correct variations by other factoers than my interest, for example, calculate DE genes for the treatment while correcting for sex, batch effect. Does SeqGSEA also allow a multi-factor design?

Comment

Originally posted by Yvone View Post
                              Thanks for your quick reply.

I have other questions.
                              1). Regarding independent filtering of weakly expressed genes in DE analyses, is it also needed in SeqGSEA?
                              2). Can I apply multi-factor design in SeqGSEA? In DESeq, I applied glm models to correct variations by other factoers than my interest, for example, calculate DE genes for the treatment while correcting for sex, batch effect. Does SeqGSEA also allow a multi-factor design?
                              1) I suggestion you feed all genes to SeqGSEA, and SeqGSEA would apply itself filter to exclude unexpressed genes.
                              2) Sorry with the current version cannot.
                              Xi Wang

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses