No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABI Paired End Reads

Hi,
    Does anyone have information on the new ABI Paired end reads, especially file formats and orientations of the reads.

We are developing a colour space version of Novoalign that's performing pretty well but we would like to support paired end as well as mate pair for first release and having some sample data would help a lo, let us know if you have some reads to share, we don't need many.

If anyone would like to try beta of NovoalignCS just ask.

Colin

NovoalignCS sounds great. I'm currently comparing the performance of BWA and BioScope on SOLiD transcriptome data (single end, unfortunately). Having Novoalign as a third option would be nice, especially since other people in my group are happy using it on their non-colorspace reads. I always stumble across all kinds of bugs anyway, so volunteering as a beta tester seems obvious.

Comment

hi epigen,

That would be great if you could help. Just email me at colin at novocraft dot com I'll send you necessary info.

Colin

Comment

I have found novoalignCS very sensitive and specific when the alignments are evaluated after variant calling (SAMtools). I would definitely recommend testing this alignment tool, although it may be a little slow (like the regular novoalign) if you have 10+ sequencers (talking to you Broad/Baylor/WashU/etc.). Otherwise the multi-threaded version is the way to go, with MPI if you have it installed.

One issue is that the # of reads from a SOLiD slide is in the hundreds of millions. If you don't have MPI installed, and you still want to align the many reads from a SOLiD run in a parallel fashion, I have created a script to convert and split the reads after using the "solid2fastq" utility in BFAST. It's a perl script, but is renamed with a .txt extension to fool the HTTP server:

You can use this in a piped fashion:
        Code:
        solid2fastq [options] <csfastas> <quals> | bfast2novo.pl - <out.prefix> <split num>
        Hopefully this will help those with idle machines fill them up with novoalignCS.
        Last edited by nilshomer; 06-16-2010, 11:51 AM. Reason: Must fool the HTTP server

Comment

data set is available on solidsoftwarecommunity.com

Comment

Hmmm why not approach ABI for the sample data sets?
            with SOLiD4 being the new standard you might get different results if u used old datasets
            http://kevin-gattaca.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for help and suggestions. e managed to get a few files of Colour space paired end reads and latest versions of NovoalignCS now fully support paired end and mate pair reads.

Colin

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses