No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New IonTorrent Website

Come visit the new IonTorrent Website at

And read about the Ion Torrent Personal Genome Machine Sequencer Grant Program.

Jonathan Rothberg talks at AGBT this Saturday afternoon.

Looking forward to seeing what's in the box... :-)

(this is not my picture, by the way)
    Last edited by ScottC; 03-01-2010, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Great presentation at AGBT, looking forward to the Ion Torrent story as it emerges over the next few months.

Steve

Comment

site is flashy but how about some details, like read length, run time, error rate, read length, sample prep, etc, etc...

Comment

Yeah, I think it's a bit light-on with the details, but I don't think they even have a projected (or at least publicly acknowledged) release date, do they?

But there are a few bits-and-pieces around, though I haven't seen any official specs.

For example, from:

Comes this:

"In a proof-of-concept experiment in collaboration with the Broad Institute, Ion Torrent sequenced the 34-kilobase adenovirus genome at 59-fold coverage, dubbed by the Broad's Chad Nusbaum the "first post-light genome." The technology covered 100 percent of the genome with a consensus accuracy of 99.9999 percent, equivalent to a quality score of 61.The company has also sequenced the 4.6-megabase E. coli genome at 12.9-fold coverage, covering more than 99 percent of the genome with more than 99.9 percent accuracy. Rothberg said that the sequence showed no systematic error and that coverage across the genome was even. In addition, Ion Torrent has sequenced 841 megabases from a large genome — 3,123 exons from 207 genes — and has other collaborative work in progress. Rothberg listed both the Broad Institute and the Stanford Genome Technology Center as collaborators."

Scott.

Comment

they do have a contest to give away a couple machines shown on the site. it's a little difficult to come up with proposals without a few more details.

Comment

Originally posted by IonTorrents View Post
              Come visit the new IonTorrent Website at

And read about the Ion Torrent Personal Genome Machine Sequencer Grant Program.

Jonathan Rothberg talks at AGBT this Saturday afternoon.
              I am not sure if you get this very often but, the similarity between part of your logo and the Playstation logo screams for a lawsuit.
              -drd

Comment

Maybe its me and my lack of googling skills, but I cannot find out if the technology is a true single-molecule sequencing system, or if there is amplification involved. Does anybody know?

Comment

Originally posted by flxlex View Post
                  Maybe its me and my lack of googling skills, but I cannot find out if the technology is a true single-molecule sequencing system, or if there is amplification involved. Does anybody know?
                  The article cited by ScottC:
                  "At the heart of the desktop-size sequencer is a 9 by 9 millimeter semiconductor chip, currently consisting of an array of about 1.55 million 3.5-micrometer wells ...

... a future generation of the chip, shrinking the wells to 1.3 micrometers, increasing the number of wells and sensors to several hundred million, and speeding up DNA synthesis to less than two seconds per base, from the current rate of four seconds per base...

...To sequence DNA, amplified template is loaded into the wells"

So, it is not a single-molecule sequencing system. But I am really facinated by this system than other 3rd-gen, can't wait to buy one.

Comment

In talking with the reps at AGBT it is definitely clonal amplification on a solid substrate. They said they're trying out some different things but unless they've got something way up their sleeve I'll bet it's emulsion PCR based sample prep.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's interest. The instrument is not launched yet. We are currently in a "technology preview" mode. More details will be forthcoming.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                      0 responses