Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gap5

I figured it's finally about time I actually released this, albeit still in a test variant and in dire need of documentation. However somewhat belatedly I'm concluding "release often, release early" paradigm of open source software is maybe correct.

NOTE: this is a test release and file formats *will* be changing during development. So be advised to keep copies of the old software if you want to upgrade to a new one as I cannot yet guarantee backwards compatibility. That's high up on the list of things to do though.

What is it? It's both an editor and a viewer for sequence assemblies, supporting both new short-read alignments as well as traditional capillary sequencers. Ie it's an upgrade to the trusty old Gap4 program. The editing side is where most of the more glaring bugs are (and you can't help but see some of them, so I consider it alpha quality for now), but it's also the most fun and challenging aspect. Data structures for efficient viewers are easy - tgap was doing that 2 years back with ease. However editing efficiently needs more thought.

The code has been in the Staden Package CVS tree for ages, but compiling is FAR from trivial as the build system needs a major overhaul. I put linux x86_64 and i686 binaries on sourceforge at:

A fully developed set of DNA sequence assembly (Gap4 and Gap5), editing and analysis tools (Spin) for Unix, Linux, MacOSX and MS Windows.

Note that this is only a test release and I cannot really support it or provide different binaries if it doesn't work for you. I'm aware that there may be systems it fails on due to missing libraries or system incompatibilities. It was build in Debian Sarge (somewhat old), but should work on Etch. I haven't tested Debian Lenny or other linux vendors.

Documentation will come at some stage along with various screenshots, but for now I put up a copy of a recent internal talk on Gap5 at:

I'm sorry, your page cannot be found on this site.

Sorry it's been so long in coming and despite that it not really being production quality yet either, but I may as well expose what I have to the masses. :-)

James

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
  • seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
0 responses