Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transcripts from RNA-seq assembly

I assembled the transcriptome of an unsequenced organism using Trinity. I would like to do some downstream analysis on the assembled transcripts. When I look at the transcripts and translate them, I find they are littered with stop codons, does that indicate there is some issue with sequencing? How can one go from the transcript to the amino acid sequence? Can we assume that the beginning of the transcript would be the beginning of the transcription start site for the gene? I would love any pointers on this.

Thanks,

Can we assume that the beginning of the transcript would be the beginning of the transcription start site for the gene?
    This is unlikely. Trinity assembles the whole RNA, including untranslated regions. If you want to look at protein predictions de-novo, then you need something like frameDP to correct for frame shift errors and identify the most likely start/stop sites for translation.

Comment

Are you sure you were in the right reading frame when checking for stop codons? Look for start codons to fix the reading frame.

Can we assume that the beginning of the transcript would be the beginning of the transcription start site for the gene?
      I would say, possibly yes, if you meant to say transcription start site. But gringer might have been right in assuming that you meant the translation start.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Anders View Post
        I would say, possibly yes, if you meant to say transcription start site. But gringer might have been right in assuming that you meant the translation start.
        Whoops, yes, I read that wrong. Just to add to this, depending on the mapping quality the start point may not necessarily be exactly at the transcript start location.

Comment

Thanks. That clarifies some concepts. Yes, I had meant the Translation start site instead of transcription. Now my data makes more sense as well since very few of the assembled transcripts were starting with a start codon. Is FrameDP a good choice for finding peptide sequences? I saw it had only 10 citations to date. Are there any other tools for doing this?

Thanks.

Comment

Is FrameDP a good choice for finding peptide sequences? I saw it had only 10 citations to date. Are there any other tools for doing this?
            Have a look here for other options:
            Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

FrameDP generates huge amounts of files, something like 5-10 times the number of transcripts, so you need to be careful with that. My computer claimed to have run out of space (with ~300GB free) due to me not being careful enough running that program.

Comment

I'm having the same problem just now. When I translate the assembled transcripts (in the 6 pssible reading frames), they are full of stop codons and I don't know what to do. I've been thinking about not normalizing the libraries when assembling in Trinity but I don't know if it make sense...

Did you finally solve the problem?

Thank you

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses