No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excel List of Locus Tags and Pathways

Hello SeqAnswers Community,

I am working with Clostridium ljungdahlii (a bacteria that can be found in the KEGG) and am interested in generating a two column excel spreadsheet; first column- all of CLJU's locus_tags (CLJU_c00000) and the second- a list of all the pathways the product of the gene may be a part of separated by commas or semicolons (Glycolysis,Gluconeogenesis,Pentose Phosphate Pathway).

Besides that, I'd like to use my cuff_diff output to create a beautiful visual of up-regulated and down-regulated pathways.

Any help is much appreciated.

God bless,
    Jason

For what it's worth, I don't see what you need excel for. Without a doubt, the best tool for this is the command line..
    savetherhino.org

Comment

I can do command line. How do I use the command line to achieve my goals?

Comment

Look, coming on a board, asking people to do your work for you...no one is going to do that.

You ask a specific question, demonstrate that you have spent some time trying to do it on your own, ask a question that matches the subject of the board (hint: do not ask about how to format things in Excel) , you might get some feedback.

For instance, "I am looking for a list of GO or KEGG annotations for the genes of my organism, does anyone have any ideas? I already checked NCBI's entry, and a bunch of papers in PubMed" might get a response. Because that question shows that you put in a little effort, and it is a small, specific question.

Comment

My apologies swbarnes2 and anyone else bothered by my questions.

I have looked around the KEGG website to see if I could download a file containing a list of pathways that correspond to locus_tags (KEGG annotations), but I was unsuccessful in finding a file containing these two fields. I am hoping that I have overlooked this option since this is the first time I have used the KEGG in my research, and such a file would make my analysis a lot easier.

After reading some papers in PubMed, I found that GOseq was a good option for my first question, except that I have to define categories (pathways) for each geneID since my bacteria's genome is not in the UCSC genome browser (according to the manual), thus defeating my purpose.

As for my second question, I apologize. I know that KEGG has tools for this (maybe KEGG Map - Color Pathway), and I will research them further for more specific questions.

Thank you,
          Jason

Comment

Hello SeqAnswers Community,

In case you would like I excel spreadsheet with one column containing locus tags and another containing corresponding pathways, I have discovered one method that will get you such a list and additional columns for EC and KO numbers.

1. Go to http://www.kegg.jp/kegg/kegg2.html and search for your organism.
            2. Select your organism, and on the page starting with "http://www.kegg.jp/kegg-bin/show_organism", click the "Brite hierarchy" tab.
            3. Click the first link in the Brite functional heirarchy; should be "00001 KEGG Orthology (KO) "
            4. Click "download htext" at the top of the page, and open with Excel; you might need to browse to open it in Excel.
            5. Write a VBA script to separate the locus tag, gene_long_name, pathway, EC and KO numbers. Have VBA search for multiple instances of the same tag and then concatenate the pathway to the first instance; delete the subsequent instances.

Thank you and God bless,
            Jason

Comment

how can we do pathway analysis ? I got some diff genes and some without name from cuffdiff. where is the way to go for pathway analysis ?

Comment

What's your organism? Feel free to message me if you don't want to divulge that online. There are many options if you are working with human or mouse or yeast, but there are very few if you are working with bacteria/ archaea.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses