No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMPure XP vs SPRI beads

Hey guys

Curious as to which system you think is better? I've been trawling this forum regarding size selection using magnetic beads, for use in RADseq (a modified gDNA illumina prep). I'm just a little confused -

- can you buy SPRI beads separately from the technology/hardware? I can't find anything on the beckman page for just SPRI beads. Or am I being dumb and the beads rely on the hardware to work, so you have to buy the whole system for automated library prep?

- are AMPure XP beads (which I have access to) just as good at size selection as SPRI beads? I'm hearing a lot more about the SPRI system on this forum for size selection, rather than the XP beads.

Ideally I would like to size select for fragments 300-500bp, for which I'm aware I'll probably need to do a double selection (one to eradiate fragments >500bp, the other to eradicate fragments <300bp), which is fine.

Also, if anyone knows a good method to calculate the beadNA ratio other than trial and error, that would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Tali

Ampure XP beads are SPRI beads. It is easy to test on a ladder, or look at the metagenomics paper in PloS one for the ratios.

Comment

Ahh ok, I hadn't realised that! I'll try out a couple of ratios (based on that paper, thanks for that reference) on a ladder.

Thanks a lot

Comment

Originally posted by Chipper View Post
        Ampure XP beads are SPRI beads. It is easy to test on a ladder, or look at the metagenomics paper in PloS one for the ratios.
        I need the complete information of "the metagenomics paper in PloS one ". Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Tali7 View Post
          Ahh ok, I hadn't realised that! I'll try out a couple of ratios (based on that paper, thanks for that reference) on a ladder.

Thanks a lot
          I want to know your result about the ratios. Thanks.

Comment

Hi Tali,
            You are correct that the website is a little confusing! Our SPRI products are on the Beckman Coulter Genomics website. Here is a link directly through to the AMPure XP page.

Beckman Coulter Diagnostics helps healthcare professionals provide better patient care by delivering the accurate diagnostic information they need.

If you have any further questions or queries then do not hesitate to get in touch.

Best wishes

Comment

Hi,

Thank you! I have the SPRI bead. I will use it to select PCR product of 300-500bp size. I use the recommend protocal but the cut-off is not clear. On the website I can not find any information. Can you help me?

Comment

your link still is confusing

hi, your link is wrong, there's no product information.
                I'm just wondering if there is a way to search in your company website!
                Originally posted by Ber7702 View Post
                Hi Tali,
                You are correct that the website is a little confusing! Our SPRI products are on the Beckman Coulter Genomics website. Here is a link directly through to the AMPure XP page.

Beckman Coulter Diagnostics helps healthcare professionals provide better patient care by delivering the accurate diagnostic information they need.

If you have any further questions or queries then do not hesitate to get in touch.

Best wishes

Comment

Dear LucyYang1991,
                  That is strange, I just clicked the link and it took me directly to the AMPureXP page. If it is your first time to the website, you may need to select your region and it should then take you to the product page.

You could try this link to our Life Sciences page.

There is a small magnifying glass in the top right. Click on that to bring up the search bar.

Comment

Apologies, I was not notified that you had responded to my link. I realise this is now a very late reply but the cut off is around 120-150bp when using the standard x1.8 ratio.

It is not a sharp cutoff. You will still get some products smaller than the cutoff but with significantly reduced amounts. Below 100bp or so all the fragments will be removed.

Originally posted by xiaoyuan zi View Post
                    Hi,

Thank you! I have the SPRI bead. I will use it to select PCR product of 300-500bp size. I use the recommend protocal but the cut-off is not clear. On the website I can not find any information. Can you help me?

Comment

OK, thanks a lot, this is the first time to the website. Maybe that's the problem here.
                      Originally posted by Ber7702 View Post
                      Dear LucyYang1991,
                      That is strange, I just clicked the link and it took me directly to the AMPureXP page. If it is your first time to the website, you may need to select your region and it should then take you to the product page.

You could try this link to our Life Sciences page.

There is a small magnifying glass in the top right. Click on that to bring up the search bar.

Comment

Originally posted by Chipper View Post
                        hi
                        i am testing the ampure beads to see is it working or not on a ladder DNA but i got band in 100 pb and i did not understand it can you see my attached image!
                        how do we know if the Ampure beads working or not ?

thank you very much.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	comparing beads 11.7.17.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	305280

Comment

Originally posted by hssalgh2 View Post
                          hi
                          i am testing the ampure beads to see is it working or not on a ladder DNA but i got band in 100 pb and i did not understand it can you see my attached image!
                          how do we know if the Ampure beads working or not ?

thank you very much.
                          [ATTACH]4827[/ATTACH]
                          We would need to know what the conditions of your test were and which lanes correspond to which treatment before we could really answer your question. Could you tell us these things?

Also, from what I understand, it's better to test the beads on enzyme-digested lambda-DNA (to generate a known fragment size profile) rather than on pre-packaged DNA ladder. Something about an ingredient inhibiting binding/elution (I'm fuzzy on the details). This may or may not be true, however, so take it with a grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Carcharodon View Post
                            We would need to know what the conditions of your test were and which lanes correspond to which treatment before we could really answer your question. Could you tell us these things?

Also, from what I understand, it's better to test the beads on enzyme-digested lambda-DNA (to generate a known fragment size profile) rather than on pre-packaged DNA ladder. Something about an ingredient inhibiting binding/elution (I'm fuzzy on the details). This may or may not be true, however, so take it with a grain of salt.
                            Thanks for your reply and please see the attached Protocol that I had used for
                            Testing beads.
                            I use 2 microliter of ladder DNA diluted with 18 microliter of dearer and I add 36 microliter of beads then I complete the steps that in the attached file.
                            Many thanks
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hssalgh2 View Post
                              Thanks for your reply and please see the attached Protocol that I had used for
                              Testing beads.
                              I use 2 microliter of ladder DNA diluted with 18 microliter of dearer and I add 36 microliter of beads then I complete the steps that in the attached file.
                              Many thanks
                              I see! Well, I'd recommend using a ratio slightly less than 1.8x. I'd lower that to 1.5x or so and see if it makes a difference (30 uL AmpureXP to 20 uL ladder dilution).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Today, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Today, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses