Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can you reconstruct the genome using transcriptome data?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy View Post
      How can you reconstruct the genome using transcriptome data?
      Well, definitely not. But mtDNA is quite smaller than the nuclear genome; it's a single molecule while nuDNA has chromosomes; mtDNA genes do not splice or have different isoforms. I'd say is a totally different approach.

Still I do not see contraindications, what do you think is the misleading effect?

F

Comment

Originally posted by francicco View Post
        ...to assemble all these condings (one for each read block) and obtain a sort of consensus.

Do you have any advise how to do it? I was trying to use CAGOB (wgs-assembler), but since contigs have "x" (gaps) apparently it does not work!
        Anyway, any help about this issue?

F

Comment

If you are talking about a mammalian mitochondrial genome maybe. Plant mitochondrial genomes are very very different.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy View Post
            If you are talking about a mammalian mitochondrial genome maybe. Plant mitochondrial genomes are very very different.
            I'm trying to do it on a Drosophila mtDNA.

Comment

My thoughts to get Drosophila mtDNA
              1. De novo assemble all your RNA seq transcripts using velvet/oases, soap de novo, trinity or any other your favourite transcriptome assembler.
              2. Blast the assembled transcripts against insect mitochondrial genes and extract the reads.
              3. Another way, to get search for Cytochrome c oxidase I (COX1) sequences between your RNA seq reads and closest reference genome. Then do reference based genome assembly.

Comment

The topic of this thread was plant mitochondrial genome assembly. In any case, have you subsetted your data to get only the mitochondrial sequence? Based on the number of reads you are talking about it sounds like maybe you haven't? You can either subset only the mitochondrial reads for a genome assembler or run the whole thing through a transcriptome assembler then subset the mitochondrial contig(s).

Comment

Thank you very much guys.
                  F

Comment

I have tried MITObim tool to extract mtgenome, I got lot of gaps in mtgenome assembly. So I tried to do de novo assembly of my WGS data and extract mtcontigs through blast. Below are the steps

1.I have de novo assembled WGS illumina reads (2x101 bp) using CLC workbench. Identified mitochondria reference genome by blasting (blast N) my de novo assembled genome against NCBI plant mitochondrial genomes (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genomes/...&opt=organelle) and selected reference genome which has top hits in blastn (e.g papayamt genome).

2. Then extracted contigs from my denovo assembly which has more than 80% identity against papayamt genome. I have around 163 contigs which range from 200 bp to 2 Kb.

How to further process the extracted contigs?. Do I have to keep only longer length contigs (larger than 1Kbp)?. How to assemble single circular genome as mentioned in published papers?

Comment

hi, Bioman
                      Have you got de novo assembled mitochondria in your plant from hi-seq 2000data?
                      I am doing the similar job and found it is not easy because of the huge size of mitochodria in plant.
                      Would you share some experience if you have got anything.
                      Thanks a lot

Originally posted by bioman1 View Post
                      Hi all,

I am trying to assemble plant mitochondria genome. The method I follow is to extract mitochondria reads from genomic reads (sequenced WGS approach using hiseq 2000, illumina paired-end reads)

1. I have downloaded all mitochondrial genomes of plants and indexed as reference genome using BWA
                      2. The raw paried-end reads were filtered (adapter & low quality reads filtered) which passed fastqc tool test. The fastqc passed filtered reads were interleaved using using perl script and used as single-end sequence. These single-end sequence were mapped to mitochondiral reference genome using BWA
                      3. Then mapped reads are extracted using samtools -F 4 option and got output in bam format
                      4. Using picard, bam format converted to fastq format
                      5.Before doing denovo assembly, I checked with fastqc, it failed in following
                      (i)FAIL-Per sequence GC content
                      (ii)FAIL-Sequence Duplication Levels
                      (iii)FAIL-Overrepresented sequences
                      (iv)FAIL-Kmer Content

My questions
                      (i) what I can I improve the reads before denovo assembly of mitochondrial reads?
                      (ii) Which better tool to assembly mitochondrial genome velvet or soapdenovo?. How much kmer size can be used?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                      0 responses