No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demultilplexing Sequences according to barcode --- Homemade script

Hy,

i need to make a script (in perl) for demultilpexing sequences and splitting and sorting them according to the barcode/Mid [Just starting from a fasta file].
    I know there are a lots of tool for this purpose but i need to do this for my Ph.D. Can anyone help me or give me some suggestions ?

it would be very appreciate if anyone give me some advices.

Thanks,
    Giorgio

What's the problem with using the tools that are already available?

Comment

My suggestion is to tell the people in charge of your Ph.D. that they are wasting your time and their grant money and if they want to publish in high impact journals, be awarded competitive grants and educate the next generation of top scientists they should promote their young scientists to do original research using the best tools available. Seriously there are a lot of bad ideas on graduate education and you would be doing a favor to future students to push the level of teaching up a notch.

That's maybe a productive exercise for a intro course to Perl, but clearly not something someone should have to do for a Ph.D.
      --------------
      Ethan

Comment

Perhaps Giorgio is looking to create a parser for a special situation (where the tags may be embedded in the sequence read or some variation of that idea) and do not follow standard protocol.

Comment

Hi ,

thank you for your replies. I know there are a lot of tool, very good. But in my situation i need to do it for an "exame" of the Ph.D. and dear ETHANol unfortunately here nobodies will teach teach me nothing so i need to learn all by myself. I don't know why but here bioinfomtatiscians are very jealous of their knowledges. So if you have a suggestion, or something to study etc.etc. i'd appreciate very much. I have not a particular situation only need to create a little script to split sequences according to the first 10 nucleotide (MID).

I know may seem a waste of time, but i need to do it, and i can't say nothing

However thanks to all

Comment

Originally posted by Giorgio C View Post
            Hi ,

thank you for your replies. I know there are a lot of tool, very good. But in my situation i need to do it for an "exame" of the Ph.D. and dear ETHANol unfortunately here nobodies will teach teach me nothing so i need to learn all by myself. I don't know why but here bioinfomtatiscians are very jealous of their knowledges. So if you have a suggestion, or something to study etc.etc. i'd appreciate very much. I have not a particular situation only need to create a little script to split sequences according to the first 10 nucleotide (MID).

However thanks to all
            I'm not a perl user so my terminology may be wrong, but ideally you'll have some sort of unique character or group of characters prior to the first 10 nucleotides (ie, a "/0:" or something like that). If so, you could create a separate array for each barcode, find the first 10 nucleotides after the unique character, and then have it put that read in the respective array. Then you can output each array in a separate file. Again, I don't use perl, but the only things you'll need to learn how to do are to input the data, create arrays (make sure they are big enough if they don't easily grow in size with perl), learn how to find the unique character, write basic loops to go through each read and have the read entered in the correct array (create a separate array for "unknown"), and then learn how to output the array.

This is assuming you have a single read with a barcode and not paired-end reads.

Comment

Can you say something about your past experience with computer programming?

It is not clear from your posts if you are a novice or if you are actually asking for advice on how best to do this using perl?
              Hi ,

However thanks to all
              Last edited by GenoMax; 10-14-2011, 06:20 AM.

Comment

@Heisman : Thank you for your suggests in building the algorithm, i will try this way first.

@GenMax: I'm now beggining to learn syntax in perl and i have only some experience with PHP but in this case i need to write the script specifically in perl; i know it's obviously difficult also to suggest me something, but first or after i needed to begin . So if you have any advices i'll follow its.

Comment

If you can spare the time and want to learn this right then I suggest starting with these two books (both by James Tisdall, O'Reilly Pub):

Beginning perl for bioinformatics
                  Mastering perl for bioinformatics

If you are in a hurry then consult resources like:

A community committed to sharing Perl knowledge and coding tips. The site contains questions and answers, useful snippets, and a library of code.

@GenMax: I'm now beggining to learn syntax in perl and i have only some experience with PHP but in this case i need to write the script specifically in perl; i know it's obviously difficult also to suggest me something, but first or after i needed to begin . So if you have any advices i'll follow its.

Comment

Grazie 1000,

GenoMax

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                    • seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                    0 responses