No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• min length and max length with fastx tookit

Hello everyone,
    i was wondering if there's a way to filter fastq reads based on minimun and maximun length. Plus trimming at minimun quality value.

this is the closest i've came out with:

fastq_quality_trimmer -v -t 20 -l 16 -i myfile.fastq -o myfile.trimmed -Q 33

however, no option to choose the maximun length appears to exists. Is it possible that there are hidden commands that i don't know about (such as -Q 33). According to a technical note from ion torrent, there is an option to limit the maximimun length and it's contained in fastq_quality_trimmer.

I would greatly appretiate the help,
    Best regards!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sergio.pv; 11-19-2013, 12:48 PM.

cross posted on biostars: http://www.biostars.org/p/86850/

Comment

Yes, that was I.
      I am really stuck with this problem, so i postd it in both sites.

Best!

Comment

Curious as to why you need to limit the maximum length?

Comment

As suggested by the ion torrent's technical note, this would leave little or no adapter sequence in the reads.
          I have attached the mentioned note.

Comment

It's usually good to mention in this context that you're looking at miRNAs or other short RNAs. At least I assume that's what you're doing since this is specifically mentioned only for miRNA-seq. I (and likely others) would argue that simply quality and adapter trimming should still suffice (just decrease the overlap threshold for the adapter sequence if you want to be more conservative).

Comment

yes you are right.
              My attempt is to analize data from the <200 nt RNA fraction, to find the most expressed miRNA candidates.

Best!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses