X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you tried indexing your reference using
    Code:
    bowtie2-build <reference.fa> <bt2_base>
    I ran into the same error when I downloaded the pre-built indexes, however, building my own worked ok.

Comment

why not up the version to 2.0.1?

Originally posted by gpertea View Post
      There are quite a few different problems reported in this thread - I apologize for them. We are aware of a couple of these problems and we are trying to fix them, though we are encountering some difficulties reproducing some of these errors.
      We just updated the packages on the website with a couple of last minute fixes so please re-download the tophat-2.0.0 package of your choice (yes, it's the same version, same file names) from http://tophat.cbcb.umd.edu and try running the new version again on your test data. If tophat 2 still fails at any stage in the process please report the failure at [email protected] - it would also help if you attach a tarball or zip file with the content of the "logs" directory when you post a bug report there.

Thank you,
      -Geo
      I'm sorry, but what is the point of version numbers if you are not going to differentiate a bug fix release? Please reconsider and release it as 2.0.1. Even 2.0.0.1 would be OK.

Mistakes happen in all software. Rails is famous for releasing a version, and releasing another version 1 day later due to a major bug or security hole they found after the release.

For more on the topic, see http://semver.org/

Comment

I have a new problem. For one samples, the mapped reads between TopHat 1.33 and 2 went from 21 million to 12 million reads. I decided to BLAT some of the reads in the unmapped.bam file.

I wonder why reads like this are excluded ?

No code has to be inserted here.The first alignment is better.

Comment

Originally posted by delagoya View Post
          I'm sorry, but what is the point of version numbers if you are not going to differentiate a bug fix release? Please reconsider and release it as 2.0.1. Even 2.0.0.1 would be OK.

Mistakes happen in all software. Rails is famous for releasing a version, and releasing another version 1 day later due to a major bug or security hole they found after the release.

+1 to this.
          It's just that there are probably people who are using tophat who haven't checked this thread in the last week, which may mean they'll be using a version without this bug fixed.
          Thank you in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by delagoya View Post

+2. Also, I'm still hoping for a fix to the problem of segment_juncs process hanging for >24 hours. Saw a post earlier where user was able to shorten the process by not using certain flags. For now, back to using Tophat 1.4.0 and TopHatFusion.

Comment

I tried with the fix, and it's been two days that tophat is trapped in :

[2012-04-21 18:34:05] Searching for junctions via segment mapping

it's strange :

here's my command :

tophat -p 8 --coverage-search -r 70 -G gff.gtf --fusion-search --b2-sensitive --mate-std-dev 50 --library-type fr-unstranded --read-mismatches 3 --output-dir tophat_2 --segment-mismatches 2 BowtieDB R1.fastq.gz R2.fastq.gz

Comment

Originally posted by ahmetz View Post
                now that we have tophat2 out the door, i'm sure we'll have bunch of tophat2 related error messages and solutions - hopefully.

thank you to the team for releasing the new version. i'm very excited for the combination of tophat and tophat-fusion.

now my problem. I've downloaded and installed bowtie2 and tophat2. everything started out just fine until tophat tried to search for junctions via segment mapping. I got an error 5

Code:
                tophat2 -o A673_rep1_tophat2 -r 158 --mate-std-dev 44 -p 24 --microexon-search --library-type fr-unstranded --b2-sensitive --fusion-search --fusion-min-dist 50000 --fusion-multireads 5 --fusion-multipairs 5 ~/genome_reference/bowtie_indexed/hg19.bowtie2 A673_rep1_R1.fastq A673_rep1_R2.fastq 

[2012-04-11 14:16:47] Beginning TopHat run (v2.0.0)
                -----------------------------------------------
                [2012-04-11 14:16:47] Checking for Bowtie
                		  Bowtie version:	 2.0.0.5
                [2012-04-11 14:16:47] Checking for Samtools
                		Samtools version:	 0.1.18.0
                [2012-04-11 14:16:47] Checking for Bowtie index files
                [2012-04-11 14:16:47] Checking for reference FASTA file
                	Warning: Could not find FASTA file /Users/zehira/genome_reference/bowtie_indexed/hg19.bowtie2.fa
                [2012-04-11 14:16:47] Reconstituting reference FASTA file from Bowtie index
                  Executing: /Users/zehira/local/bin/bowtie2-inspect /Users/zehira/genome_reference/bowtie_indexed/hg19.bowtie2 > A673_rep1_tophat2/tmp/hg19.bowtie2.fa
                [2012-04-11 14:19:57] Generating SAM header for /Users/zehira/genome_reference/bowtie_indexed/hg19.bowtie2
                	format:		 fastq
                	quality scale:	 phred33 (default)
                [2012-04-11 14:20:00] Preparing reads
                	 left reads: min. length=75, count=12942699
                	right reads: min. length=75, count=12927964
                [2012-04-11 14:28:54] Mapping left_kept_reads against hg19.bowtie2 with Bowtie2 
                [2012-04-11 14:44:43] Mapping left_kept_reads_seg1 against hg19.bowtie2 with Bowtie2 (1/3)
                [2012-04-11 14:47:28] Mapping left_kept_reads_seg2 against hg19.bowtie2 with Bowtie2 (2/3)
                [2012-04-11 14:50:06] Mapping left_kept_reads_seg3 against hg19.bowtie2 with Bowtie2 (3/3)
                [2012-04-11 14:53:27] Mapping right_kept_reads against hg19.bowtie2 with Bowtie2 
                [2012-04-11 15:09:38] Mapping right_kept_reads_seg1 against hg19.bowtie2 with Bowtie2 (1/3)
                [2012-04-11 15:12:11] Mapping right_kept_reads_seg2 against hg19.bowtie2 with Bowtie2 (2/3)
                [2012-04-11 15:14:44] Mapping right_kept_reads_seg3 against hg19.bowtie2 with Bowtie2 (3/3)
                [2012-04-11 15:17:26] Searching for junctions via segment mapping
                	[FAILED]
                Error: segment-based junction search failed with err =-5
                  Reason: image not found
                I'm hoping it's an easy solution and am sure it's something i did wrong. anyone has any ideas?

Thanks!
                Hi Ahmetz
                I have compiled and installed Tophat-2.0.9 and got this error on the test_data provided on Tophat website. The same test data run with tophat work, but with tophat2 it gives the error below. I read on Seqanswers http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19135 , downloading the latest version solved the issue, but this is the latest version. Did you manage to solve your problem?

$ tophat2 -o Tophat2 -r 20 test_ref reads_1.fq reads_2.fq

[2013-09-03 13:53:17] Beginning TopHat run (v2.0.9)
                -----------------------------------------------
                [2013-09-03 13:53:17] Checking for Bowtie
                Bowtie version: 2.1.0.0
                [2013-09-03 13:53:17] Checking for Samtools
                Samtools version: 0.1.19.0
                [2013-09-03 13:53:17] Checking for Bowtie index files (genome)..
                Found both Bowtie1 and Bowtie2 indexes.
                [2013-09-03 13:53:17] Checking for reference FASTA file
                [2013-09-03 13:53:17] Generating SAM header for test_ref
                format: fastq
                quality scale: phred33 (default)
                [2013-09-03 13:53:17] Preparing reads
                left reads: min. length=75, max. length=75, 100 kept reads (0 discarded)
                right reads: min. length=75, max. length=75, 100 kept reads (0 discarded)
                [2013-09-03 13:53:17] Mapping left_kept_reads to genome test_ref with Bowtie2
                [2013-09-03 13:53:17] Mapping left_kept_reads_seg1 to genome test_ref with Bowtie2 (1/3)
                [2013-09-03 13:53:17] Mapping left_kept_reads_seg2 to genome test_ref with Bowtie2 (2/3)
                [2013-09-03 13:53:17] Mapping left_kept_reads_seg3 to genome test_ref with Bowtie2 (3/3)
                [2013-09-03 13:53:17] Mapping right_kept_reads to genome test_ref with Bowtie2
                [2013-09-03 13:53:17] Mapping right_kept_reads_seg1 to genome test_ref with Bowtie2 (1/3)
                [2013-09-03 13:53:17] Mapping right_kept_reads_seg2 to genome test_ref with Bowtie2 (2/3)
                [2013-09-03 13:53:17] Mapping right_kept_reads_seg3 to genome test_ref with Bowtie2 (3/3)
                [2013-09-03 13:53:17] Searching for junctions via segment mapping
                [FAILED]
                Error: segment-based junction search failed with err =-5
                Reason: image not found

Comment

Is this on OS X? Is yes then what version of OS X and Xcode are you using?

"Image not found" errors *may* to be Xcode related based on some limited googling. Are you sure there were no errors when you built TopHat?

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                    Is this on OS X? Is yes then what version of OS X and Xcode are you using?

"Image not found" errors *may* to be Xcode related based on some limited googling. Are you sure there were no errors when you built TopHat?
                    Hi Genomax

I'm using a Mac OS 10.6.8 Xcode 3.2.3

Command to compile tophat-2.0.9
                    ./configure --prefix=/Users/lhusselmann/bin/tophat-2.0.9 --with-boost=/usr/local/Cellar/boost --with-bam=/usr/local/lib --with-gzip=/Users/lhusselmann/bin/gzip-1.6

This is how the compilation looks:lhusselmann$ cd bin/tophat-2.0.9/
                    8ta-229-97-249:tophat-2.0.9 lhusselmann$ ./configure --prefix=/Users/lhusselmann/bin/tophat-2.0.9 --with-boost=/usr/local/Cellar/boost --with-bam=/usr/local/lib --with-gzip=/Users/lhusselmann/bin/gzip-1.6
                    checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
                    checking whether build environment is sane... yes
                    checking for gawk... no
                    checking for mawk... no
                    checking for nawk... no
                    checking for awk... awk
                    checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
                    checking for gawk... (cached) awk
                    checking for g++... g++
                    checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.out
                    checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
                    checking whether we are cross compiling... no
                    checking for suffix of executables...
                    checking for suffix of object files... o
                    checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... yes
                    checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
                    checking for style of include used by make... GNU
                    checking dependency style of g++... gcc3
                    checking for gcc... gcc
                    checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
                    checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
                    checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... none needed
                    checking dependency style of gcc... gcc3
                    checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes
                    checking for ranlib... ranlib
                    checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
                    checking for a Python interpreter with version >= 2.4... python
                    checking for python... /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python
                    checking for python version... 2.7
                    checking for python platform... darwin
                    checking for python script directory... ${prefix}/lib/python2.7/site-packages
                    checking for python extension module directory... ${exec_prefix}/lib/python2.7/site-packages
                    checking for boostlib >= 1.38.0... yes
                    checking for bamlib... yes
                    checking build system type... i686-apple-darwin10.8.0
                    checking whether the Boost::Thread library is available... yes
                    checking for exit in -lboost_thread-mt... yes
                    checking for exit in -lboost_system-mt... yes
                    checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
                    checking for egrep... grep -E
                    checking for ANSI C header files... yes
                    checking for sys/types.h... yes
                    checking for sys/stat.h... yes
                    checking for stdlib.h... yes
                    checking for string.h... yes
                    checking for memory.h... yes
                    checking for strings.h... yes
                    checking for inttypes.h... yes
                    checking for stdint.h... yes
                    checking for unistd.h... yes
                    checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
                    checking for string.h... (cached) yes
                    checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
                    checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
                    checking for stdbool.h that conforms to C99... yes
                    checking for _Bool... yes
                    checking for inline... inline
                    checking for pid_t... yes
                    checking for size_t... yes
                    checking for ptrdiff_t... yes
                    checking for an ANSI C-conforming const... yes
                    checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
                    checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... no
                    checking for _LARGE_FILES value needed for large files... no
                    checking for gzread in -lz... yes
                    checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
                    checking for GNU libc compatible malloc... yes
                    checking for memset... yes
                    checking for strdup... yes
                    checking for strrchr... yes
                    checking for strtol... yes
                    checking for strsep... yes
                    checking host system type... i686-apple-darwin10.8.0
                    checking how to create a pax tar archive... gnutar
                    checking dependency style of gcc... (cached) gcc3
                    checking dependency style of g++... (cached) gcc3
                    configure: creating ./config.status
                    config.status: creating Makefile
                    config.status: creating src/Makefile
                    config.status: creating config.h
                    config.status: config.h is unchanged
                    config.status: executing depfiles commands

-- tophat 2.0.9 Configuration Results --
                    C++ compiler: g++ -Wall -Wno-strict-aliasing -g -gdwarf-2 -Wuninitialized -O3 -DNDEBUG -pthread -I/usr/local/Cellar/boost/include -I/usr/local/lib/include -I./SeqAn-1.3
                    Linker flags:
                    GCC version: i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5666) (dot 3)
                    Host System type: i686-apple-darwin10.8.0
                    Install prefix: /Users/lhusselmann/bin/tophat-2.0.9
                    Install eprefix: ${prefix}

See config.h for further configuration information.
                    Email <[email protected]> with questions and bug reports.

8ta-229-97-249:tophat-2.0.9 lhusselmann$ make
                    make all-recursive
                    Making all in src
                    make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
                    8ta-229-97-249:tophat-2.0.9 lhusselmann$ make install
                    Making install in src
                    test -z "/Users/lhusselmann/bin/tophat-2.0.9/bin" || /Users/lhusselmann/bin/tophat-2.0.9/build-aux/install-sh -d "/Users/lhusselmann/bin/tophat-2.0.9/bin"
                    /usr/bin/install -c 'prep_reads' '/Users/lhusselmann/bin/tophat-2.0.9/bin/prep_reads'
                    /usr/bin/install -c 'gtf_to_fasta' '/Users/lhusselmann/bin/tophat-2.0.9/bin/gtf_to_fasta'
                    /usr/bin/install -c 'fix_map_ordering' '/Users/lhusselmann/bin/tophat-2.0.9/bin/fix_map_ordering'
                    /usr/bin/install -c 'bam2fastx' '/Users/lhusselmann/bin/tophat-2.0.9/bin/bam2fastx'
                    /usr/bin/install -c 'segment_juncs' '/Users/lhusselmann/bin/tophat-2.0.9/bin/segment_juncs'
                    /usr/bin/install -c 'gtf_juncs' '/Users/lhusselmann/bin/tophat-2.0.9/bin/gtf_juncs'
                    /usr/bin/install -c 'juncs_db' '/Users/lhusselmann/bin/tophat-2.0.9/bin/juncs_db'
                    /usr/bin/install -c 'long_spanning_reads' '/Users/lhusselmann/bin/tophat-2.0.9/bin/long_spanning_reads'
                    /usr/bin/install -c 'bam_merge' '/Users/lhusselmann/bin/tophat-2.0.9/bin/bam_merge'
                    /usr/bin/install -c 'map2gtf' '/Users/lhusselmann/bin/tophat-2.0.9/bin/map2gtf'
                    /usr/bin/install -c 'tophat_reports' '/Users/lhusselmann/bin/tophat-2.0.9/bin/tophat_reports'
                    /usr/bin/install -c 'sam_juncs' '/Users/lhusselmann/bin/tophat-2.0.9/bin/sam_juncs'
                    test -z "/Users/lhusselmann/bin/tophat-2.0.9/bin" || /Users/lhusselmann/bin/tophat-2.0.9/build-aux/install-sh -d "/Users/lhusselmann/bin/tophat-2.0.9/bin"
                    /usr/bin/install -c 'tophat2' '/Users/lhusselmann/bin/tophat-2.0.9/bin/tophat2'
                    /usr/bin/install -c 'tophat' '/Users/lhusselmann/bin/tophat-2.0.9/bin/tophat'
                    /usr/bin/install -c 'contig_to_chr_coords' '/Users/lhusselmann/bin/tophat-2.0.9/bin/contig_to_chr_coords'
                    /usr/bin/install -c 'bed_to_juncs' '/Users/lhusselmann/bin/tophat-2.0.9/bin/bed_to_juncs'
                    /usr/bin/install -c 'sra_to_solid' '/Users/lhusselmann/bin/tophat-2.0.9/bin/sra_to_solid'
                    /usr/bin/install -c 'tophat-fusion-post' '/Users/lhusselmann/bin/tophat-2.0.9/bin/tophat-fusion-post'
                    make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
                    make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
                    make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.

No warnings or errors with compilation and installation.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Two suggestions. They are not very specific though.

1. Latest Xcode for 10.6.x appears to be v.3.2.6. You could try upgrading and recompiling.

2. Getting the pre-compiled OS X binary from TopHat site. I assume it should work with 10.6.x.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                        Two suggestions. They are not very specific though.

1. Latest Xcode for 10.6.x appears to be v.3.2.6. You could try upgrading and recompiling.

2. Getting the pre-compiled OS X binary from TopHat site. I assume it should work with 10.6.x.
                        Thanks GenoMax for your suggestions. I finally got the pre-compiled binary to work.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                          Yesterday, 07:01 AM
                        • seqadmin
                          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                        0 responses