Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Human Illumina Paired-end RNA-Seq remove duplication.

I am using Human Illumina Paired-end RNA-Seq. I analysis purpose is to
    get expression of isoform level. Not for SNP calling.

When I used fastqc(0.94) to examin my RNA-seq data, I found that there
    are very high duplication level in it. About 70% are duplication
    repost by fastqc. So I tried to use Picard(1.50) to remove duplicate
    reads.

The command is:

java -Xmx4g -jar ~/bin/picard/MarkDuplicates.jar REMOVE_DUPLICATES=true
    INPUT=accepted_hits.bam OUTPUT=remove_accepted_hits.bam
    METRICS_FILE=dup.txt

After run picard, I used fastqc to check again. It is better but it is
    still have a high duplication level (63% duplication). Does it mean
    picard do not work well or fastqc report have a problem?

I looked the output from Picard,
    In the METRICS_FILE of picard output, the PERCENT_DUPLICATION is 0.312927.
    But fastqc give the DUPLICATION level percent is 70%.

Why have this difference?

Thanks.

Hi fabrice,
    I am not sure, but I think fastqc counts all identical reads as a duplicate. In comparision to that, picard marks only these reads as duplicates, where the position of the forward and the reverse read is the same. So for Picard it is not enough, that for example just the forward reads is the same.

Comment

Thank you.

So does it mean that Fastqc more closer to the truth?

Picard worked as this:

Q: How does MarkDuplicates work?
      A: Essentially what it does (for pairs; single-end data is also handled) is to find the 5' coordinates and mapping orientations of each read pair. When doing this it takes into account all clipping that has taking place as well as any gaps or jumps in the alignment. You can thus think of it as determining "if all the bases from the read were aligned, where would the 5' most base have been aligned". It then matches all read pairs that have identical 5' coordinates and orientations and marks as duplicates all but the "best" pair. "Best" is defined as the read pair having the highest sum of base qualities as bases with Q >= 15.

If your reads have been divided into separate BAMs by chromosome, inter-chromosomal pairs will not be identified, but MarkDuplicates will not fail due to inability to find the mate pair for a read.

Comment

I think Picard is closer to the truth. If two reads have the same sequence, it is still possible, that it isn't a PCR-duplicate. If the reverse reads of two identical forward reads are different, it is probably no PCR-duplicate. But if the position and orientation of forward and reverse read are identical it is likely a PCR-duplicate. But of course, even the percentage calculated by Picard is overestimated.

Comment

Robby,
          Thanks for your explain.
          Here you said Picard is overestimated. Does it mean Picard always give an overestimate duplication level?
          Because Picard take bam/sam as input, it means that if I want to estimate the duplication level in my sequence. I must map the reads firstly. Is it possible take the fastq file to estimate the duplication level? Fastqc take the fastq files, but it seems not very correctly.

Comment

Hi,

Fastqc and picard work at different levels. Fastqc works on the read level - it takes the read sequences and estimates the duplication level. Picard works on the alignment level - as already explained, it also considers the location of the read (and its mate if applicable). So it depends what you are looking for. As far removing PCR-introduced duplicated reads, picard definitely is more relevant.

Comment

Your picard value was around 0.13. Is this 0.13% or do you still need to multiply it with 100. So that it's actually 13 % ?

Comment

I had the same query. What i personally feel is that Picard is more accurate.

My reassoning is that fastqc is calling around 70% duplication looking at only the read 1 file and a similar amount using the read 2 file without using any information on the mapping.
                Picard on the other hand looks at teh mapping and uses both start and end regions of the fragments to call duplicates which logically makes more sense, right? Fragments starting at the same position but ending at varying ones can't be seen as duplicates and discarded IMHO!

Comment

Originally posted by Robby View Post
                  I think Picard is closer to the truth. If two reads have the same sequence, it is still possible, that it isn't a PCR-duplicate. If the reverse reads of two identical forward reads are different, it is probably no PCR-duplicate. But if the position and orientation of forward and reverse read are identical it is likely a PCR-duplicate. But of course, even the percentage calculated by Picard is overestimated.
                  A trivial question: When you say overestimated, do u mean the duplication in his sample is LESS THAN 13% or MORE THAN 13%.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses