Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone worry about the quantification of expression from total RNA versus ploy A enriched RNA?

I imagine that you would inflate your expression values from total RNA by including reads from immature RNA and I presume that as splicing is a regulated event this might not be even across genes. But, you would not discriminate between immature and mature RNA when doing qPCR from total RNA (the gold standard), so does this matter?
    @sidderb

Comment

The reason people get more data mapping to transcripts with methods using oligo-dT reverse transcriptions is that you ONLY see polyadenylated transcripts i.e. the boring ones. You might as well do a microarray. Oligo-dT selection or priming gives horribly 3' biased data and I never use it.

The only way to make an RNA-Seq library is through ribosomal depletion and random priming or the SPIA selection method. This gives data which is not 3' biased and you see the non polyadenylated transcripts AND the alternatively spliced transcripts. With 3' biased libraries you miss both.

Comment

Originally posted by NextGenSeq View Post
        The reason people get more data mapping to transcripts with methods using oligo-dT reverse transcriptions is that you ONLY see polyadenylated transcripts i.e. the boring ones. You might as well do a microarray. Oligo-dT selection or priming gives horribly 3' biased data and I never use it.

The only way to make an RNA-Seq library is through ribosomal depletion and random priming or the SPIA selection method. This gives data which is not 3' biased and you see the non polyadenylated transcripts AND the alternatively spliced transcripts. With 3' biased libraries you miss both.
        Can't say we see any significant 3' bias in our TruSeq mRNA-seq preps (poly-A selection followed by heat fragmentation and random priming). If anything this is more common in our Nugene preps.

Comment

Yes, I think NextGenSeq's comment is an exaggeration. With high quality RNA, 5'-3' bias is minimal when using the TruSeq RNA kit. Oligo dT priming of first strand synthesis is another story; it would likely produce bias because reverse transcriptase is generally not very processive.

On the other hand, if polyadenylated messages are "boring" to you, you must use another ribo-depletion method.

--
          Phillip

Comment

I've seen UCSC browser plots of RNA-Seq data which map virtually entirely to the last exon using dT priming.

Comment

Input of total RNA vs poly(A)+ RNA

After reviewing the various posts in this thread, I wanted to clarify some points regarding the function of Ovation RNA-Seq System V2. In my view, the choose of input is guided by the experimental goals of the RNA-Seq study. The Ovation RNA-Seq System V2 was designed for use
              with total RNA (500 pg minimum input); however, some studies may warrant use of poly(A)+ RNA. This is particularly true for screening
              or profiling studies examining expression under different
              biological conditions using a defined set of polyadenylated
              transcripts. Researchers particularly interested in RefSeq
              or other well-annotated transcripts or who want to enrich
              for sequencing reads from mature transcripts may also find
              it desirable to use poly(A)+ as input.

We have recently produced an Application Note (http://www.nugeninc.com/nugen/index....brary-systems/) showing how poly(A)+ RNA can be used as an alternative to total RNA if the experiment calls for use of this material. This note shows data both for Ovatin RNA-Seq V2 as well as Encore Complete RNA-Seq Library System. This latter kit also provides strand tracking data which may be useful for those interested in antisense trancripts.

Steve

Comment

Mapping to reads in non-coding region is a function of poor DNase treatment. My guess is the user did not check their RNA for genomic DNA by qPCR. A obvious mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by NextGenSeq View Post
                  I've seen UCSC browser plots of RNA-Seq data which map virtually entirely to the last exon using dT priming.
                  Sounds like the RNA from that experiment was degraded or maybe it was DGE?

Comment

multiplexing strategies for GA/Illumina

Hello ,
                    I am just getting warmed up with NGS and came to understand that while multiplexing samples on GA, we need to watch out for the indices that we pool together. I was thinking so far, that as long as the indices are different we can pool as many as we can per lane. So this new thing threw me off . Also I read this little snippet , the link is posted, which gives the adaptor index pool compatibilites. NOw, all that I have is adpator for 3' and 5' along side my RNA which I used to perform an RT and PCR. While doing the PCR I added the indices 1-12 according my protocol . I have 48 samples which all have unique indices. When I try to pool I would make sure no indices overlap.
                    SO can someone clarify what the guys are talking about in the link I have posted below? Or am I totally on a different planet than earth!!!!!!!
                    Thanks,
                    geneart.TruSeq_SamplePrep_Pooling_ProductInsert_15034135_A.pdf
                    TruSeq_SamplePrep_Pooling_ProductInsert_15034135_A.pdf

Comment

adding to my previous post................Also, I cross checked the "AD" index numbers listed in the attachment I posted in my previous blog,against illumina truseq protocol and could not find a match for the catalog #.
                      Now I believe there should be something I am totally overlooking !!!! Atleast until the part of RTPCR I am 100% sure that other than the adaptors for 3' and 5' and the indices(which have a catlog number that does not match AD numbers) I have not added anything extra !!!! So where do these AD006 and other AD numbers come from?? Is it something that we add downstream before running GA? According to my understanding , the next few steps invloves concentration check and getting eqvimolar concentrations ofor all samples and running the GA!
                      Also the indices itself is the "barcode" to identify the tags, Is'nt it?
                      Please can anyone help me get this right?
                      Much appreciated !!!!
                      Thanks
                      geneart

Comment

Yes those are "Low plex" instructions. That is, in cases where you want to use 4 or fewer indexes in a lane. Above that number you will be fine, most likely.

Also, this seems to be an issue for the GA-IIx, the HiScanSQ and possibly the MiSeq. Near as I can tell the HiSeq has no difficulty with low plex pools. Ours demultiplexed a 1-plex pool at >98% efficiency.

The above comments concern TruSeq indexes. Nextera indexes may be another issue, but I doubt it.
                        --
                        Phillip

Comment

THanks Phillip !
                          But then what are those AD and AR numbers? Do they correspond to the adaptors? THat does not make any sense
                          Also I have a scenario where I might multiplex (>5) per lane in few lanes and run just one(uniplex) in one lane. So just because it is uniplex and not with any other combo it should be fine????
                          I would appreciate if you could throw some insight in dealing with samples with <50ng/ml(qubit) and 80pg/L on agilent. The molar concentrations need to be 10nM for NGS/GA run, we are trying to come up with strategies to make these runs even with low concentrations by drying them and such. Even so I am afraid we may not have enough. So I thought we could pool strong samples in some lanes, again checking the indices compatibility and just run one low conc. sample in one lane alone. Would you have any experience dealing with very low concentration samples on GA?
                          Much appreciated...............
                          geneart.

Comment

Originally posted by geneart View Post
                            THanks Phillip !
                            But then what are those AD and AR numbers? Do they correspond to the adaptors? THat does not make any sense
                            The "AD" prefix means the adapter came from a "DNA" prep kit, whereas "AR" means they came from an RNA prep kit. Your sequencer has no reason to care about this, because the same adapters are used in both types of TruSeq kits.

Also I have a scenario where I might multiplex (>5) per lane in few lanes and run just one(uniplex) in one lane. So just because it is uniplex and not with any other combo it should be fine????
                            Yes. Well, if you spike phiX in the lane, that will show up, unless you demultiplex.

I would appreciate if you could throw some insight in dealing with samples with <50ng/ml(qubit) and 80pg/L on agilent. The molar concentrations need to be 10nM for NGS/GA run, we are trying to come up with strategies to make these runs even with low concentrations by drying them and such. Even so I am afraid we may not have enough. So I thought we could pool strong samples in some lanes, again checking the indices compatibility and just run one low conc. sample in one lane alone. Would you have any experience dealing with very low concentration samples on GA?
                            Much appreciated...............
                            geneart.
                            Sorry, we never had a GA. We do speed vac samples sometimes to concentrate them a little. But we only need 2nM for the HiSeq and MiSeq.

--
                            Phillip

Comment

NGS multiplex

Thanks so much Phillip ! It was very helpful
                              geneart

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                              • seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                              0 responses