No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About tools for comparing genomes of two different organisms

Hi Bioinformatics gurus,

Could you suggest me any tool(s) for comparing genomes of two (or more) different organisms to have at the end a list of genes of organism A which are lacking in organism B? And also, a list of common genes in both organisms which are drastically different.

Thanks

Maybe InParanoid http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19892828 can help you? From the documentation http://inparanoid.sbc.su.se/download...t/relnotes.txt

1. Introduction

InParanoid is a program for automatic identification of orthologs
    while differentiating between inparalogs and outparalogs. An
    InParanoid cluster is seeded by a reciprocally bestmatching ortholog
    pair, around which inparalogs are gathered independently, while
    outparalogs are excluded. The InParanoid database is a collection of
    pairwise ortholog groups aiming to include all 'completely sequenced'
    eukaryotic genomes. By this we mean above 6X coverage, and less than
    1% X letters in the protein sequences.

Comment

Hi,
      I'm assuming they've been annotated and are bacteria/virus.
      You can use MAUVE, which can do the alignment of 2 or more genomes and there is an option output orthologues based on your cutoffs. The output is a table (which can be opened in excel), where across the top (X axis) are the organism name, below which are the genes present. Comparing the columns, you can pull out whats shared and whats not.

Alternatively, you could you Blast to compare and pull out similar sequences between the genomes, again using what ever cutoff you like - that can be the more labour intensive way and gets complicated with 3 or more genomes.

Cheers,
      Raj

Comment

A clutering tool like cd-hit would work.

Comment

No second dariober's suggestion to use InParanoid. Its summary information and definitions of orthologs vs paralogs is quite useful. The key is that you must have annotated organisms to start with. And keep in mind the most likely differences are going to arise from genome assembly errors. For example my first pass filter on gene loss is to run peptide BLAT/BLAST and look for hits on the *_random chromosomes. I'd often find fragments of the gene at the edges of genome gaps. Sometimes half the gene would be on chr6, the other half on chr6_random, but you could see pretty much anything, depending upon the quality of the assembly and the annotation. But InParanoid should in theory help you figure out what to follow up with a deeper analysis, ie what holes there are to fill.

Comment

Hi, I'm facing the same kind of situation. Anybody here used InParanoid successfully?

Comment

Muave generates visual comparisons for genomes.

BTW: Are you not able to make InParanoid work?

Comment

Thanks GenoMax, I'm now trying Mauve. As for InParanoid, I'm not able to make it work on my transcriptomes. It's working with a small subset of sequences (a few thousands sequences) but it freezes forever when I try with the whole transcriptomes (hundreds of thousands sequences).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses