Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dindel is seeing too many reads, potential bug?

Hey all,

I have just figured out how to download and use dindel and I am trying to compare it to samtools mpileup. Most of the calls are the same. However, when looking at a dindel call in IGV, I noticed that there is only 1 read covering that position. Yet, dindel gave the following output line in the VCF file:

Code:
    chr19   11243209        .       c       cG      128     PASS    DP=12;NF=0;NR=4;NRS=3;NFS=1;HP=1        GT:GQ   1/1:12
    When looking at the depthofcoverage file, it states that there is only 1 read. Yet, dindel sees 4 reads. Does anybody have any idea why this could happen? I've attached a screenshot of this position in IGV.
    Attached Files

I had the same doubt. After checking the intermediate results of Dindel, I realized that DP value in the VCF is the number of reads that cover the window that is processed by Dindel.

For example, in my case the VCF contains an indel in the position 6680:

Code:
    #CHROM	POS	ID	REF	ALT	QUAL	FILTER	INFO	FORMAT	SAMPLE
    chromosome_II	6680	.	TATA	T	118	PASS	DP=230;NF=0;NR=3;NRS=13;NFS=23;HP=1	GT:GQ	0/1:118
    The "depth" is:
    • DP=230 according to Dindel (INFO column in the VCF file), but
    • depth=45 according to IGV (in fact, according to the pileup file).

The information displayed by the "step 3" of Dindel showed this:

Code:
    (...)
     tid: chromosome_II [B]pos: 6681 leftPos: 6620  rightPos: 6742[/B]
    Fetching reads....
    [B]Number of reads: 230[/B] out of 77463 # unmapped reads: 0 numReadsUnknownLib: 0 numChrMismatch: 0 numMappedWithoutMate: 2 numUnmappedWithoutMate: 0
    candidate_var@pos: 6681 6680,-ATA
    aligned_var@pos 6681 6656 A=>G
    aligned_var@pos 6681 6657 T=>A
    aligned_var@pos 6681 6680 -ATA
    [empiricalDistributionMethod] Number of haplotypes: 8
    Filtered 0 haplotypes.
    ll_ref: -1085.49 max_ll_indel: -1058.3 qual: 118.099
    (...)
    My interpretation is that DP is the number of reads covering the positions (window) 6620-6742, and not only those covering the "starting" point of the indel (6680).

Hope it is useful.

Comment

More simple!

My suspicion was correct, but there is a more straightforward way to confirm it.

From the header of the VCF file produced by Dindel:

Code:
      ##INFO=<ID=[B]DP[/B],Number=1,Type=Integer,Description="[B]Total number of reads in haplotype window[/B]">

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses