X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with AMPure purification

Hi,
    Maybe someone has faced the same problem, as I am:

I am using Agencourt AMPure XP to clean my PCR-amplicons from PCR-reaction mixture. I am using AMPure at 1x sample volume, to get rid of all the primers.
    In the last few months I started noticing, that the AMPure magnetic beads do not pellet properly on the tube wall after the addition of Elution Buffer (10 mM Tris-HCl, pH 8,5). The DNA concentrations of amplicons also decreased. I tried to elute my amplicons in MQ water and it worked well, I also obtained a bit higher DNA concentrations. But I am still wondering, what is wrong with the elution using EB. I checked my Ethanol and tried to use 80% instead of 70%, it did not change anything. I also tried to use different lab plastic, magnet plate and ordered fresh EB and AMPure. Nothing worked and I still got this „haze“ instead of properly pelleted beads.

Maybe someone could help me, what am I doing wrong?

Are you using the same PCR polymerase/buffer. I know that having proteins like BSA in the sample causes haze during Ampure cleanup. I cannot explain why your problem disappears with MQ water though.

Comment

I am using Maxima HotStart PCR Master Mix. I tried to leave out ethanol purification steps (just to see, what happenes) and it worked - the haze was gone. But I can´t do that with my real samples..

Comment

Originally posted by JanaSEQ View Post
        Hi,
        Maybe someone has faced the same problem, as I am:

I am using Agencourt AMPure XP to clean my PCR-amplicons from PCR-reaction mixture. I am using AMPure at 1x sample volume, to get rid of all the primers.
        In the last few months I started noticing, that the AMPure magnetic beads do not pellet properly on the tube wall after the addition of Elution Buffer (10 mM Tris-HCl, pH 8,5). The DNA concentrations of amplicons also decreased. I tried to elute my amplicons in MQ water and it worked well, I also obtained a bit higher DNA concentrations. But I am still wondering, what is wrong with the elution using EB. I checked my Ethanol and tried to use 80% instead of 70%, it did not change anything. I also tried to use different lab plastic, magnet plate and ordered fresh EB and AMPure. Nothing worked and I still got this „haze“ instead of properly pelleted beads.

Maybe someone could help me, what am I doing wrong?
        The "haze" sometimes occurs if you incubate the bead mixture for too long. I've seen it a lot but only when I do "in-bead" enzymatic reactions and cleanup afterward with SPRI buffer (PEG/NaCl). I've also seen it if I overdry my beads. Maybe something to think about.

Comment

Thanks bilyl!
          I have tried different incubation times. I have also tried to elute amplicons right after I removed ethanol and also tried to let the beads dry completely, before I added the elution buffer. I did not notice any changes.

Comment

I' m using AMPure on a Beckman Platform for many years and I used water MQ as elution buffer without any problem. Are you using the original magnet plate?

Comment

I am using DynaMag magnet plate (Life Technologies). I am not using MQ water, because sequencing company where we send our samples prefers PCR amplicons in Tris-HCl buffer.

Comment

I'm not certain what might be going on here, but if MQ seems to work for the elution, could you just elute in water and then dilute in elution buffer?

Comment

Thank you Dan (dtm2451)!

I will try this out.

But I still would like to know, what could have happned with the purification. My last idea is, that maybe it´s the hot weather, that causes such abnormalities (air conditioner in my lab does not work properly and it is up to 30C/86F) But i refrigirate Ampure (and then bring it to room temperature immediately before using) I also tried to refrigerate ethanol and elution buffer, unfortunately it did not help.

Comment

My problem seems to be gone now! During last few Ampure purifications I did not notice haze any more. I did not change anything and so I think the haze was a result of way too hot working conditions. Fortunately is summer over now!

Comment

My lab also gets fairly hot in the Summer due to inefficient AC. Perhaps that was the issue as I'm no longer having SPRI trouble either. I don't like the heat explanation... I really don't get why that would inhibit bead binding, but it might be true. Either way, I'm glad you are no longer having issues either!

Comment

My Lab uses AMPure beads at 0.7x to remove primer-dimer and any junk below our target after barcoding and final pooling for MiSEQ. We elute into TE and then run the eluted DNA through a QiaQuick spin column to remove any residual beads. You can also adjust the amount of EB you spin through the column if you need a higher DNA concentration. Might be a bit redundant but hopefully it helps!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                        • seqadmin
                          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                        0 responses