X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cDNA as starting material for TruseqDNA

Hi,
    I hope that someone can help me!
    I'd like to do whole genome reseq from cDNA double strand using the truseqDNA kit from Illumina.
    Do I need to change the protocol for Covaris fragmentations because of cDNA starting material instead of genomic DNA?
    Many thanks!
    Chiara

similar questions

I am doing some RNA-seq and I wonder whether it is possible to use cDNA after 1st stand synthesis as input using the illumina DNA prep kit?

Comment

You could use cDNA in the truseq prep but after fragmentation there might not be much left, depends on your input. Lots of people have used nextera sample preps. Lower sample input and no need to fragment using covaris. Transposon mediated fragmentation is active on cDNA.

Hope this helps.

Comment

last week I fragmented the cDNA with Covaris and then I started to prepare libreries with the truseqDNA...libreries are fine but have a mean fragment size of 250 bp with adapter...
        I'll have the sequencing reads overlapped with a 100PE and I know it's not good for bioinfo analysis..Next time I'll try with nextera as suggested by barrmur.
        many thanks,
        Chiara

Comment

Hi Chiaraf, what did you use for your settings on the Covaris?

Comment

Hi microgirl123,
            I used the following protocol:
            Peak IP 175
            Duty factor 10%
            Cycles / burst 200
            Treament Time 120 sec
            Temperature 7C
            Water level 12
            Sample Volume 50 ul
            This is the protocol suggested in the Ovation RNA-Seq System V2 - NuGEN (That was the kit we used to obtain cDNA DS from RNA.
            Chiara

Comment

I'm not a Covaris expert and can't remember what everything means (maybe someone else can chime in) but I think your fragments are smaller than you'd like because you're oversonicating. I generally get ~500 bp fragments (so library size with adapters is ~650 bp) using a peak IP of 175, duty factor of 5%, 200 cycles/burst, and a time of 55 seconds.

We don't use the TruSeq DNA kit (we have an IntegenX Apollo robot and use their kits) - you may have to play around with their chemistry to select the larger size fragments.

ETA: this is for a 50 ul sample

Comment

Dear microgirl123,
                you're right ...probably I oversonicating..
                Many thanks for your help!!
                Chiara

Comment

Just to add, settings are different depending on which covaris you use.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy0615 View Post
                    I am doing some RNA-seq and I wonder whether it is possible to use cDNA after 1st stand synthesis as input using the illumina DNA prep kit?
                    Not after first strand synthesis, but after second strand synthesis. You cannot ligate to the RNA/DNA hybrid.

Comment

We have been generating cDNA using the NuGEN Ovation kit and putting it into the Illumina DNA-Seq kit with no problems. We are beginning to adjust the settings on the Covaris to get larger cDNA fragments before library construction. It works very well.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                      • seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                      0 responses