Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I curious to know, (since Linnarsson is in your neighbourhood) have you tested your TSO with UMI for smart2-seq.
    It wouldn't work that way because then only one fragment from the cDNA would contain the UMI. However, if you don't constrain yourself to resequencing the entire transcript, then you can get a true molecule count, and that's what Linnarsson's group did in doi:10.1038/nmeth.2772.

Comment

Hi Simone,

Thanks very much for all of your comments and recommendations in this thread.

I am working to test/optimize the Smart-seq2 protocol for a Tcell application and am wondering how you blocked your TSOs. You mentioned iso-nucleotides earlier on in this thread. Is this what you were referring to?
      iso-dG: http://www.idtdna.com/site/catalog/m...s/product/2188
      iso-dC: http://www.idtdna.com/site/catalog/m...s/product/2187
      description: http://www.idtdna.com/Site/Catalog/M...ons/Category/7

I have little experience with such nucleotides in the past. Is the idea that iso-dG and 5Me-iso-dC pair with each other and not with regular A,C,G,T, thus the RT stops when it comes across an iso-dC or -dG because its counterpart does not exist in the dNTP mix? Is concatemerization prevented then by obstructing the RT before it can add another round of untemplated Cs after the copying the TSO?

Best,
      Dan
      Last edited by dtm2451; 07-30-2014, 09:30 AM.

Comment

There is an extended discussion about oligo blocking on previous pages in this thread. Other groups are using 5' biotin as a cheaper way of doing the same thing, but it sounds like you understand the principle. See doi:10.1186/1471-2164-11-413 for more.

Comment

Thank you jwfoley. I am actually thinking of trying both and testing biotin vs. iso vs. unblocked. But, I'm not sure how to get an oligo with both iso and LNA. Looking back, you actually mentioned this issue before. Were you able to find a place to order an LNA-iso combo or did you switch to biotin and avoid the issue? If not, has anyone else been able to order an oligo containing both locked and iso nucleotides? And if so, where from?

Comment

No, I never tried iso because biotin completely eliminated the hedgehog in my tests. However, if you talk to Exiqon's sales reps, they seem flexible about ordering things that are "off the menu" (since they apparently just subcontract their orders out to companies like IDT anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by dtm2451 View Post
              Thank you jwfoley. I am actually thinking of trying both and testing biotin vs. iso vs. unblocked. But, I'm not sure how to get an oligo with both iso and LNA. Looking back, you actually mentioned this issue before. Were you able to find a place to order an LNA-iso combo or did you switch to biotin and avoid the issue? If not, has anyone else been able to order an oligo containing both locked and iso nucleotides? And if so, where from?
              I ordered an iso+LNA-modified TSO from Eurogentec (http://www.eurogentec.com) and it worked well. However, the "performance" (number of genes detected at different RPKM levels, for example) was always slightly lower than the standard LNA-TSO and I didn´t continue further. It actually never got rid completely of the concatamers, even though there is a published paper claiming it will. Biotin could be an alternative solution.

Comment

AMpure before cDNA amplification

Did somebody ever use the Ampure purification in between the 1st strand synthesis and cDNA amplification in the SMARTseq2 protocol? (like Clontech has standard in it's ultra-low protocol)

Comment

Originally posted by MMaria View Post
                  Interesting. Does anybody knows how much does it cost or which labs already have it?
                  We already got C1 and run twice. cDNA harvested from C1 was around 0.2~0.5 ng/ul and we basically got 13ul for each sample. The libraries for single cell samples run well on Miseq and we get 3M reads per sample when we pooled 6 per run.

Comment

Is anyone quantitating the amount (ng) of the total RNA in your samples prior to using these single cell kits? Is it necessary for these kits, especially the Fluidigm?

Comment

Hi seqgirl,

I use a rough estimation from the bioanalyzer (the Qbit minimum RNA amount is too high for such low quantities); if you have single cells RNA, I don't think there is any way to quantify it (or even get the RNA tracks w/ the bioanalyzer).

Guy

Comment

If these kits are being used for low input, it is a good idea to QC input RNA because kits are expensive. When using single-cells in C1 it is physically impossible to QC RNA and the approach is to check success after harvesting amplifid cDNA. The same goes if single-cells are processed manually.

Comment

Does everyone here do cell-sorting and cDNA synthesis on the same day? has anyone here tried to use pre-frozen sorted single cell with SMARTSeq protocol?

We tried but only a very few of reactions worked so far. Wanted to know where we can troubleshooting. Really appreciate your input.

Thanks

Comment

1-5ng input

Originally posted by CTC View Post
                            Thanks for the article. But without detailed protocol it is hard to replicate the experiment.
                            I have tried SMARTer PCR kit but it did not work in my hands. The expected yield for a single cell is 7 ng, the negative control yield is similar.
                            For 1ng to 5ng total RNA input there is the TotalScript developped by Epicentre (quite similar to their Nextera). The protocol is already optimised and well defined .

The procedure takes 5 hours - librairies are oriented.
                            It works on Eurcaryotes. There are actually 3 methods depending on the goal of the project. One is based only OligodT and you would see only 5% of reads with rRNA.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristmasSunflower View Post
                              Does everyone here do cell-sorting and cDNA synthesis on the same day? has anyone here tried to use pre-frozen sorted single cell with SMARTSeq protocol?

We tried but only a very few of reactions worked so far. Wanted to know where we can troubleshooting. Really appreciate your input.

Thanks
                              Hello, we've tried it with Smartseq2. We sorted two plates, one that we froze down and another where we did cDNA synthesis the same day. Oddly, the sample when cDNA synthesis is done the same day gave more false positive expression (based on our known cell type) than the samples that were frozen first. We didn't follow this up but just used this experiment to justify the fact that we incorporate freezing first before doing cDNA synthesis (usually next day).

Comment

bioanalyzer not correlating with seq data?

Hello all, thanks for all your thoughts here. It's helpful.

Just curious about how well your bioanalyzer traces correlate with actual sequencing data. With our samples, we can't see much of a correlation.

For example, in the attached pdf, sample D2 appears to have some concatamer and that sample mapped poorly to mouse genome (8%) and we detected very few genes (less than 200). Sample C8 seems to have a higher amount of product (between 500 and 10,000 bp) and concatemer. But this sample mapped 50% to mouse genome, and we we detected almost 5000 genes. Sample G5 has no concatamer, primer dimer (at ~100 bp), and noticeable product, but had 14% mapping and 600 genes detected.

In short, we can’t seem to find a correlation between what we observe on the bioanalyzer trace and what we’re seeing with sequencing, at least by mapping % and genes detected. We’re actually considering skipping bioanalyzer since sequencing costs on a miSeq for 96 samples (~$1000) is about equal to two Bioanalyzer chips (11 samples per chip) anyway. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                                0 responses