Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with smallRNA Truseq kit - Agilent results? (repost from Illumina forum)

Hi guys! I'm a newbie to this forum so please bear with me! I did ask in the Illumina forum yesterday but didn't get any replies, so I thought I'd ask the RNA experts..

I've prepared lots of Illumina libraries before (RADseq, RNAseq..) and am now doing miRNAseq using the TruSeq smallRNA kit, using total RNA input.

I've got to the pre-gel purification stage (post-PCR) and have run an aliquot on the Agilent Bioanalyser as encouraged to do by the protocol. However, the on-site Bioanalyser isn't new enough to use the suggested High Sensitivity DNA chips, and I had to use a normal DNA chip. So basically I didn't really know what I was looking for in my results graphs.

I do know that I am supposed to see a peak at ~145-160bp (the adapter-ligated miRNA size). And I do have small peaks in roughly that size region.

HOWEVER, I also have maaaassive peaks at ~270bp. I have no idea what this could be, and nobody I've spoken to knows either! I know it isn't contamination, because a sample that is effectively my -ve control (don't ask) didn't have any peaks. I'm just concerned that, as the peaks are so big, the adapters (although designed to ligate to miRNA) have also ligated to bigger RNA too, and so have also been amplified in PCR.

Would this be possible, and/or does anybody have any idea what these 270bp peaks are doing in my library prep?!

Thanks so much

This is after PCR "enrichment"? If so, that is the multimeric or hetero-strand dimer product common in TruSeq libraries. It is called, variously, "bird nesting", "daisy chaining", "bubble products", etc. For my formulation of various possibilities, see:

Bridged amplification & clustering followed by sequencing by synthesis. (Genome Analyzer / HiSeq / MiSeq)

The good news is that it usually is not a problem because most of the time the extra peak disappears after strand denaturation. You could try running a pico RNA chip on the DNA after denaturation. See:

Bridged amplification & clustering followed by sequencing by synthesis. (Genome Analyzer / HiSeq / MiSeq)

But, should the sample strands re-anneal, you may get confusing results due to single stranded molecules running slower on Agilent chips than double stranded ones:

Techniques and protocol discussions on sample preparation, library generation, methods and ideas

Techniques and protocol discussions on sample preparation, library generation, methods and ideas

--
    Phillip

Comment

Hi Phillip

Wow I hadn't realised that this was such a well-known problem! I hadn't checked the other forums as I assumed it was a problem restricted to miRNAseq, rather than a general Truseq issue. It definitely looks like it could be dimer product - it is roughly twice the size of the desired product (~270bp cf. 145-160bp).

Thanks very much

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses