No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• introducing BAMseek, a large file viewer for BAM and SAM

Hi SeqAnswers community,

I have been a long time follower of SeqAnswers but have just joined and would like to make available a tool I have been working on called BAMseek.

BAMseek is a large file viewer for browsing BAM and SAM alignment files. BAMseek offers a graphical interface to viewing SAM/BAM files and allows you to jump around to random locations in your files.

I currently have a Mac OS X Snow Leopard build available at http://code.google.com/p/bamseek/ If people find this useful, I can also make a Windows executable available.

This is the first release of BAMseek, so any suggestions/feedback/questions are welcomed. I will do my best to reply and incorporate feedback.

thanks!

Does it have the ability to non-interactively generate "snapshots" of a given region of the fly? Im looking for this in an open source tool.

Comment

I found it easy to install, and it is a very clean interface.

Comment

Originally posted by zee View Post
        Does it have the ability to non-interactively generate "snapshots" of a given region of the fly? Im looking for this in an open source tool.
        Hi zee,
        I don't know if I quite understand what you mean. I could add the ability for the user to select a few rows and do a Copy of the selected data (in fact, I think that would be nice for the next version). If you are looking to automatically extract all the reads in a certain genomic region, I would suggest the "samtools view" command in the samtools software (which requires the file to be sorted and indexed). For BAMseek, I decided to not require the file to be sorted in order to browse it.

Does that help at all?

Comment

Can you summarize how BAMseek compares to other BAM viewers like Bambino and BamView? What are it's relative strengths?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tnabtaf View Post
            Can you summarize how BAMseek compares to other BAM viewers like Bambino and BamView? What are it's relative strengths?

Thanks
            Sure. I am aware of the tools you mentioned, but I have not used them too much myself, so please correct me if I am wrong. It looks like those types of programs are for visualizing alignments on the genome, which is a very useful way for exploring your data. BAMseek gives you a different view of the data - it allows you to view the file itself, which to my knowledge, could only be done if you are familiar with command line operations. Typical text editors cannot view SAM/BAM files because the files are large (too much to put into memory at once), and BAM files are not in a human-readable form. BAMseek could be useful if you just wanted to open up the file and get a feel for the type of data it contains - is it paired-end? does it contain auxiliary flags? what's the read length? ...

So in short, I see these as complimentary tools that allow you to explore those very large BAM/SAM files.

Comment

OK I had a look at Bamseek and I thought it would be another alignment graphical viewer. It definitely does not suit my purposes as I am already quite experienced with the samtools and Picard utilities. Nice for the GUI people though.

Comment

BAMseek - now on Windows

Cross-platform version of BAMseek now available at

http://code.google.com/p/bamseek/

BAMseek is a file viewer that allows you to browse through BAM and SAM files with a friendly user interface. I recently uploaded a cross-platform version (BAMseek2011June01.jar ) that can run on both Windows and Mac (and anywhere java runtime 1.6 is installed). To run, simply download and double click the .jar file. I would still consider this in its testing stage, so keep that feedback coming! Thanks.

Comment

How different is it from IGC and TVIEW ? I know IGV changes the BAM alignment of my reads to reference , and so I have discontinued using it. I hope BAMseek does not do the same.

Comment

BAMseek is a text viewer that lets you see the actual text within a BAM file (such as what you would get with samtools view). So probably not what you are looking for if you are looking for a new alignment viewer. What do you mean that IGV changes the BAM alignments to reference? I haven't noticed IGV changing the data.

Justin

Comment

Hi,

I have tried BAMSeek and like the way it gives individual reads; however, it seems that is all there is. Is there a "search/find" function if I wanted to look for a specific sequence. Or is there a freely available tool for this?

Thanks,
                      Marija

Comment

Originally posted by madebeljak View Post
                        Hi,

I have tried BAMSeek and like the way it gives individual reads; however, it seems that is all there is. Is there a "search/find" function if I wanted to look for a specific sequence. Or is there a freely available tool for this?

Thanks,
                        Marija
                        You are correct, there isn't a search/find function available. To do that, there is a lot of power and flexibility from using samtools and grep in the command line. You might try something like this

Code:
                        samtools view -h input.bam | grep TCTGACTCTGTGTA
                        You can get fancy and limit your search to particular columns (using something like awk) or allow for mismatches in the sequence using wildcards. So I would suggest that route. Hope that helps.

Justin

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                        • seqadmin
                          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                        0 responses