Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding transmembrane domains

I need to locate transmembrane domains in a protein, so I've run it trough webservers linked at expasy in "Topology prediction" section (SOSUI, TMHMM, HMMTOP, etc.) And you know what? Every single one of them gives me different positions!
    What parameters should I estimate to correctly predict these domains? Perhaps some advice on which servers behave better on which taxa?

Are the positions similar or overlapping at all?

You could also consider using a positive control - pick a protein (or some) for which you know the TMD, run them through, and see which is most accurate.

Comment

They are more or less overlapping, though sometimes only by a few AA. The amount of transmembrane domains is also the same in all estimates. This is actually all I need (how many domains there are and whether they are before or after a certain site).
      But the general question still remains: if I want to reliably estimate domains having only some protein sequences, say, from genome we are annotating, what tool should I use and what parameters and how should be optimised?

Comment

Is this a single pass transmembrane protein? Is it a homodimer, each with a single TM domain? Is it a GPCR which is seven-pass?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses