Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I test for differential expression using FPKM values?

Hi,

I know this subject has been discussed in many posts, and I am sorry if I am double posting.

I have a matrix of gene expression counts and the values are FPKM.
    I don't have the sam files.

Can I use cuffdiff with this input?

I can run DESeq2 the way it is described in the tutorial, but it says that the input should be raw counts. What happens if the input is FPKM?

Are there other methods to run DE-test on FPKM values?

Thanks,

Jon

If you input FPKMs into DESeq2 you'll get unreliable results, since you're violating the statistical premise. You can probably use voom() to get things ready for analysis in limma. That's what I'd try first.

Comment

Ok, thanks!

Comment

Sorry for spamming you with questions...

I am able to convert the read counts by voom(), but I have trouble getting the experiment design correct using model.matrix()

I have 18 libraries representing two different conditions: 'normal' and 'post-inversion'. My design looks like this now:
        design
        I think I have to create a factor with the two labels 'normal' and 'post-inversion'?

Comment

And now I just realized there's a bioconductor mailing list which is probably where this question belong

Comment

Yeah, you can more easily ask the authors on the list If you're just interested in the normal vs. post-inversion comparison (rather than also looking at whatever that "Sycon2" thing is), then yes, just creating a factor with those levels (design$libType will provide that, though you probably named the dataframe something else).

Comment

Just for the record: "voom" expects counts the same as edgeR and DESeq do. See also https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioco...er/056309.html

Comment

Could you tell me anyone, why we use TPM, FPKM or RPKM normalization in single-cell expression analysis?

Is there any biological explanation????

Thanks in advance.!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses