No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• human genome short read data for "Do it yourself genetic testing"

Hi all!

I would really like to try a certain program (http://www.cbcb.umd.edu/software/BRCA-diagnostic/), because in some ways it's similar to a project I'm working on. My problem is, that I just can't find the right data to try this program on. It needs the genome of an individual (so not the reference genome) in raw short read data format. I'm not really familiar with theese things, so I would really appreciate, if someone could tell me, where to find appropriate DNA sequences, that fit into this category.
    The program uses the bowtie short read alignment program, so with other words, I need short reads of a human genome, that can be aligned by bowtie, I guess.

Yours,
    Attila
    Last edited by attilav; 08-18-2011, 04:13 AM.

You can find tons of datasets in the NCBI Short Read Archive and the European Nucleotide Archive.

You can also find already aligned short read datasets (in BAM format) all over the place. The 1000 genome project is sequencing many at low coverage, so might not be good for you, but Watson's genome is available as well as many others (Venter's is available in long reads). Complete Genomics has made a large number of human genomes available on their website. Personal Genome Project should have files up as well.

(aside: perhaps there should be a wiki section on repositories of human and other genome alignments)

Comment

Unfortunately Bowtie is not optimized for Complete Genomics data. Specifically, Complete Genomics reads have sub-read gaps that Bowtie will interpret as mismatches. The high mismatch frequency will prevent Bowtie from successfully aligning many reads to the reference.

If you are interested in working with SNP genotypes and Complete Genomics data, we strongly recommend using the Complete Genomics-developed snpdiff command in our open source CGA Tools package (http://cgatools.sourceforge.net/). This tool is specifically designed to extract SNP genotypes from Complete Genomics data, and to compare Complete Genomics genotype calls with SNP genotypes generated on other platforms.
      Shaun Cordes, PhD | Customer Support Scientist | Complete Genomics, Inc.
      Toll-free: (855) 267-5358 | Direct: (650) 943-2651
      [email protected]

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
      0 responses