No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software like consed

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a software like consed for visualize alignment and editing the consensus sequence. At my work, I have a MAC with consed on it, but at home I have a PC with windows 7 and consed is unavailable on this platform.

I downloaded Tablet, it looks nice but I don't know how, and if I can, change the consensus.

Thanks

Tablet is a viewer, not an editor.

You could also consider Gap5 which is a full assembly editor, but that doesn't work on Windows.

If you really want to work on your home computer, install Linux Or if you have a good internet connection, perhaps try an X Windows client to connect to a Linux/Unix server at work?

Comment

I think I will install linux! Have you an idea of which distribution?

Comment

Originally posted by Antony03 View Post
        I think I will install linux! Have you an idea of which distribution?
        That is a quite subjective question, but if you want to use this primarily for Bioinformatics, then going with the Debian based Bio-Linux distribution would seem sensible:

The appeal here is so many major tools are then simple to install, and generally quite up to date too (via Debian-Med):

You could opt for another Debian based distribution and use Debian-Med directly too:

To be honest - I'd suggest using whatever your local Linux using friends use, so that you have someone nearby who can help out if needed, rather than having to resort to the internet.

Comment

Hi! I downloaded a linux distrubution and gap5. I don't understant how create a database. Is there a person who can help me? I know I need this code: tg_index -o dbname [options] -format_code input_filename, but not where I need to write this! Sorry, I'm new with that kind of software.
          Thanks
          Last edited by Antony03; 04-27-2012, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Hi! Sorry for the double post! Is somebody can help me with my problem? I really need to know how to create a database with .ace as input for use in Gap5. It's for my master.

Thanks

Comment

Have you searched the forum? There are other threads about installing Gap5.

Comment

Yes sure! http://seqanswers.com/forums/archive...hp/t-1923.html
                I know I need to do something with tg_index, but what I don't understand it how to use it for create a .g5d and .g5x with a .ace as input.

It tg_index a plugin or something like this? Is there another manner for convert a .ace in .g5d?

I know my question is a little bit stupid, but i'm new in this domain

Comment

I followed this tutorial for the installation on Ubuntu http://tygertown.us/2011/03/install-...buntu-mavrick/. But, after, what I need to do?
                  For convert my .ace in .g5d, I need to launch tg_index in wich directory?

Comment

Use Geneious.

Comment

Originally posted by Antony03 View Post
                      Yes sure! http://seqanswers.com/forums/archive...hp/t-1923.html
                      I know I need to do something with tg_index, but what I don't understand it how to use it for create a .g5d and .g5x with a .ace as input.

It tg_index a plugin or something like this? Is there another manner for convert a .ace in .g5d?

I know my question is a little bit stupid, but i'm new in this domain
                      Firstly, Gap5 does work natively on Windows too, but it's not really optimised for the platform. Specifically tg_index is a command line tool used to build the gap5 database, but a command line is complete anathema to windows users! (It works though in exactly the same manner as linux, you just have to launch a console window to run it from.)

I plan to putting tg_index into gap5 itself so you can also build databases via the GUI, albeit then having to wait a long while potentially on a large DB. That's not done yet though.

As to using tg_index, just try "tg_index" on a command line to see the options. In the most common usage you could just do "tg_index filename.ace" and get a filename.0 gap5 database spat out at the end, but there are various command line options for controlling it further.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                        by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                        02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                      0 responses