Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was wondering if it would be possible to show IUPAC codes in consensus.
    As I frequently use MIRA to assemble EST datasets, I'd prefer the correct IUPAC code over '?' in the consensus ;-)

cheers,
    Sven

Comment

Originally posted by vamin View Post
      Would it be possible to implement some sort of features track to make it easier to see pileups over exons, etc?
      We actively working on that, but it's tricky and time consuming unfortunately, and there isn't much demand for it from people in my group. Tablet is an assembly viewer, and to turn it into a genome browser (which I think it would have to be to display the features properly) isn't something we can really commit to.

Attached, however, is a sneak preview of what we do have working in one of the builds. At best it'll be one feature "type" per track. If stuff overlaps then that'll be tough luck - for this version at least

Iain
      Attached Files
      Our software: Tablet | Flapjack | Strudel | CurlyWhirly | TOPALi

Comment

Originally posted by sklages View Post
        I was wondering if it would be possible to show IUPAC codes in consensus.
        As I frequently use MIRA to assemble EST datasets, I'd prefer the correct IUPAC code over '?' in the consensus ;-)
        In the short term, it's unlikely. One of Tablet's original optimizations was to create its own internal alphabet of supported characters. This alphabet was purposely designed to be tiny, mainly so it wouldn't use up much memory. All raw data is translated into a compressed bytestream version of this, allowing us to display data very very quickly. When we moved to caching data on disk, we thought maybe it wouldn't be needed any more, but it turns out it was still useful because the amount of data we need to read and write to disk is subsequently much smaller too (and therefore aids creation/retrieval time), meaning the overhead of using a hard drive over memory isn't that bad.

So for now, we're locked into the way we currently do things, with an alphabet that can't support much more than the basic set of A, C, G, T, and some others we use to help speed up rendering. Ultimately it's currently limited to 16 characters (2^4).

I'm told (correct me if I'm wrong) that MIRA is one of few assemblers that even outputs ambiguity codes, and even then it can be told not to?

Iain

Comment

Originally posted by imilne View Post
          I'm told (correct me if I'm wrong) that MIRA is one of few assemblers that even outputs ambiguity codes, and even then it can be told not to?
          Iain
          Yes, it is one of the assemblers that does ... but that's not a drawback but a feature, especially for denovo cDNAs assemblies without reference ...

thanks,
          Sven

Comment

SAMSequenceDictionary

Hi,

While attempting to view a sorted BAM file (that has been indexed) with a fasta reference on Tablet, I receive the following error:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cannot add sequence that already exists in SAMSequence dictionary

Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Comment

Originally posted by agc View Post
              Hi,

While attempting to view a sorted BAM file (that has been indexed) with a fasta reference on Tablet, I receive the following error:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cannot add sequence that already exists in SAMSequence dictionary

Any ideas on what the problem might be?
              That's not one of our errors, so it must be from Picard, the API we use to read BAM files. It probably means there's something wrong with the underlying BAM file itself, or something about it that Picard can't handle. You might be able to confirm by trying one of the other Java viewers - if you get the same error, it'll be the file; if you don't, then maybe it is Tablet that's at fault.

Someone on the Picard or samtools mailing lists may also be able to help further (or will hopefully read this)...

Iain

Comment

Yes, there was a problem with the BAM file - several sequence names were left blank (due to my reference fasta file including a space between the '>' sign and the sequence name - IE '> chr07' instead of '>chr07'), and therefore were seen as duplicates.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi,

Tablet gives me the following error message while trying to load a sorted bam file and its corresponding genome:

java.lang.Exception: java.lang.RuntimeException: SAM validation error: ERROR: Record 9187, Read name SRR033843.58925, Zero-length read without CS or CQ tag

Do you know where it can come from?
                  I've aligned reads with Blat, used pls2sam and processed the file with samtools.

I wonder why *this* read in particular...?

Comment

Originally posted by Adamo View Post
                    SAM validation error: ERROR: Record 9187, Read name SRR033843.58925, Zero-length read without CS or CQ tag

I'll leave this one for the assembler/SAM experts.

With Tablet we've always felt it best to leave these kinds of errors in rather than have it ignore the reads. That way you can be informed when there's something (potentially) not right with the data.

Iain

Comment

Thank you anyway.

This problem happens with all the reads, not only the one mentionned. It may be psl2sam or Blat which causes this error.

Comment

have you had a look at the actual record compared to the others?

Code:
                        samtools view bam.file | grep recordName | less
                        and compare it to a few other reads

Code:
                        samtools view bam.file | less
                        perhaps there's a missing tab, or an extra endline character?

Comment

Originally posted by Adamo View Post
                          Hi,

Tablet gives me the following error message while trying to load a sorted bam file and its corresponding genome:

java.lang.Exception: java.lang.RuntimeException: SAM validation error: ERROR: Record 9187, Read name SRR033843.58925, Zero-length read without CS or CQ tag

I've aligned reads with Blat, used pls2sam and processed the file with samtools.

I wonder why *this* read in particular...?
                          Originally posted by imilne View Post
                          I'll leave this one for the assembler/SAM experts.

With Tablet we've always felt it best to leave these kinds of errors in rather than have it ignore the reads. That way you can be informed when there's something (potentially) not right with the data.

Iain

I have resolved the problem. It was caused by the absence of the corresponding sequences of the matches in the sam file converted from psl. And as Tablet doesn't represent a read without its sequence...
                          I've been given a script that associate the sequence of a read with its hit (it outputs a bam file, the input is the sam file produced from the psl), if someone need it, feel free to ask.
                          Last edited by Adamo; 07-19-2010, 01:26 AM.

Comment

We now have a version of Tablet that contains visual support for paired-end data (from SAM/BAM files), both in packed and stacked views.

It's not quite ready for release yet, but if anyone wants to give it a try - and is willing to provide us feedback if it doesn't work (!) - then get in touch with us at [email protected] and I can send you details on how to download it. This version also contains some support for rendering GFF data too (annotation tracks basically).

Iain

Comment

how is the work going with indels?
                              I tried to load up some bwa alignments in which there were insertions in the reads (or maybe deletions in the reference) and everything looked messed up.
                              --
                              Jeremy Leipzig
                              Bioinformatics Programmer
                              --
                              My blog
                              Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Zigster View Post
                                how is the work going with indels?
                                I tried to load up some bwa alignments in which there were insertions in the reads (or maybe deletions in the reference) and everything looked messed up.
                                Send us an email with the details (and a screenshot) and we'll look into it.

Iain

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                                0 responses