Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys, what do you say about cloud computing? If anyone has experience of clouds, please suggest which one is better in terms of cost and processing? We have got 10 Mbps dedicated line and we are going to do human exome sequencing not whole genome.

If anyone knows good resources for tutorial/guide line to run NGS analysis on cluster and or cloud, please tell me because doing this IT related stuff only on my own is little bit difficult for me.
    Thanks in advance.

Comment

If you are going to use a cloud provider like amazon then remember that you are going to pay for getting data in to the cloud (and then getting the results out). If you are planning to store that data then figure that cost in as well. If your ISP charges you for the data based on traffic volume going over that dedicated line then the costs will add up rapidly.

A 50 bp single end HiSeq Illumina sequence data file can be 20-30 GB (even if you multiplex, the file size per lane will add up to this). Depending on how many samples you are planning to run do the calculation of what you will pay to move (along with the time it till take to move the data) and store that data before considering cloud computing.

There is a nice write-up about running a tool called "Galaxy" in the cloud here: http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Cloud. Galaxy has a nice suite of NGS tools built in.

Originally posted by PratikC View Post
      Guys, what do you say about cloud computing? If anyone has experience of clouds, please suggest which one is better in terms of cost and processing? We have got 10 Mbps dedicated line and we are going to do human exome sequencing not whole genome.

If anyone knows good resources for tutorial/guide line to run NGS analysis on cluster and or cloud, please tell me because doing this IT related stuff only on my own is little bit difficult for me.
      Thanks in advance.

Comment

Thank you very much GenoMax, the link you gave is very useful.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
          Yesterday, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses