Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trimmomatic adapter file error

I am having a problem getting trimmomatic to find the adapter file. I have tried all the options I can think of for the path, and put the file in the trimmomatic folder but still get a file not found error message. I can't spot any syntax errors, so can anyone help me?

error: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /adapters/Truseq3-PE-2.fa (No such file or directory)

java -jar trimmomatic-0.36.jar PE -phred33 27_4_24_LC_R1.fq 27_4_24_LC_R2.fq 27_4_24_LC_forward_paired.fq 27_4_24_LC_forward_unpaired.fq 27_4_24_LC_reverse_paired.fq 27_4_24_LC_reverse_unpaired.fq ILLUMINACLIP:/adapters/Truseq3-PE-2.fa:2:30:10 LEADING:3 TRAILING:3 SLIDINGWINDOW:4:15 MINLEN:36

Thanks

Are you able to list the file by doing an ls with full path?

Comment

I think it searches for that file from your current directory (not from the trimmomatic folder). You could put the adapter file in the same folder as your raw reads, then change that part of your command to the following:

ILLUMINACLIP:Truseq3-PE-2.fa:2:30:10

Cheers,

Matt.

Comment

Now unknown trimmer error

Thanks to both for your responses. Before I had a chance to act I lost access to the computer and only now have new (permanent) machine.
        I now have a different issue which is that trimmomatic seems to be identifying my output files as the trimmer and is giving me an 'unknown trimmer' error.

My command line is:
        ~/Documents/Batstaph/Trimmomatic-0.36$ java -jar trimmomatic-0.36.jar PE -phred33 ~/Documents/Batstaph/sequences/27_4_24_LC R1.fq.gz ~/Documents/Batstaph/sequences/27_4_24_LC R2.fq.gz output_test_FP.fq output_test_RP.fq output_test_FU.fq output_test_RU.fq ILLUMINACLIP:/home/kay/Documents/Batstaph/Trimmomatic-0.36/adapters/Truseq3-PE-2.fa:2:30:10 LEADING:3 TRAILING:3 SLIDINGWINDOW:4:15 MINLEN:36
        and the error message is: Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: Unknown trimmer: test_out_2.paired.fastq
        It doesn't seem to matter what I name the output file, trimmomatic is giving me this error at the same point in the command line
        Thanks for any tips you can give me.

Comment

The error message suggests that you have too many parameters, and trimmomatic is expecting a trimming command at that position, it doesn't really care too much what you call your file. Do you have any unintentional spaces in the names of your files, maybe where the lines wrap in the terminal window, that might make it seem like you had more than just the names of 2 input files and 4 output files?

Comment

Back to old problem

OK, thanks, I removed the spaces in the file names and it has got past the trimmer error. Now I'm back to not finding the adapter file:

java.io.FileNotFoundException: /home/kay/Documents/Batstaph/Trimmomatic-0.36/adapters/Truseq3-PE.fa (No such file or directory)

kay@kay-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-5th:~/Documents/Batstaph/Trimmomatic-0.36/adapters$ ls
            NexteraPE-PE.fa TruSeq2-PE.fa TruSeq2-SE.fa TruSeq3-PE-2.fa TruSeq3-PE.fa TruSeq3-SE.fa

Here is the error and the ls for the path. I can't spot any errors.

Thanks again

Comment

What does the ~ expand to on your computer?

If it's something like /users/kay/ instead of /home/kay/
              that might explain why you get the directory/file not found error.

Comment

Pwd gives:

/home/kay/Documents/Batstaph/Trimmomatic-0.36/adapters

Comment

Originally posted by Batstaph View Post
                  OK, thanks, I removed the spaces in the file names and it has got past the trimmer error. Now I'm back to not finding the adapter file:

java.io.FileNotFoundException: /home/kay/Documents/Batstaph/Trimmomatic-0.36/adapters/Truseq3-PE.fa (No such file or directory)

kay@kay-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-5th:~/Documents/Batstaph/Trimmomatic-0.36/adapters$ ls
                  NexteraPE-PE.fa TruSeq2-PE.fa TruSeq2-SE.fa TruSeq3-PE-2.fa TruSeq3-PE.fa TruSeq3-SE.fa

Here is the error and the ls for the path. I can't spot any errors.

Thanks again
                  Make the 's' in Truseq uppercase (TruSeq)

Comment

Doh

Stupid error which has been there from the start.

Thank you so much, Trimmomatic worked!!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses