View Single Post
Old 06-08-2019, 09:27 PM   #3
SNPsaurus
Registered Vendor

I think most academic cores run the cheaper high output with 8 lanes rather than the fast and expensive rapid run mode and make users wait for a run of the appropriate type to fill up. Academic users are price-conscious more than time-prioritizing. I just looked up "Illumina core" and got these snippets:
1)For HiSeq 4000 runs, a flowcell can be sequenced once there are 8 samples ready.
2)you will be able to see which kinds of samples are already in the queue to be run, and how many samples of each kind are needed to complete a set of 8 that is required to fill and run a flow cell.
3) HS4000 flow cells require 8 lanes to sequence. Submitting 8 samples will decrease the wait time.

There are a few services out there that match facilities waiting for a few lanes to start a run with users needing a few lanes to be sequenced. This wouldn't be possible if only a few places ran high output flow cells with a mixture of users in each.

Quite a few facilities have a HiSeq4000 plus a NextSeq (or a HiSeq2500 kept for Rapid Runs) and a factor driving them to a NovaSeq is being able to have small and large runs on the same platform.

That said, I have no idea how to estimate things any better! Other thoughts--40% of shipments going to academic labs might not translate to 40% of the HiSeq market. Lots of individual academic labs have a MiSeq/MiniSeq. You could look at ABRF meeting attendance (maybe?) for a sense of how many academic cores run a HiSeq. Or google away. That set is maybe the easiest to put a firm number on, since a core facility has to have a public-facing web page. Is there a Tier 1 research university without a HiSeq? I tried a half dozen lower tier universities and they all had one.