No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• biais in GC content with illumina

Hello everyone!

I am pretty new on this forum, and also in bacterial genome assembly. So you can expect I will have a lot of questions in the next few weeks (or months).

My first question is about a bias in the GC content in the first 10 bases of my reads. These reads are from a bacterial genome sequenced with Illumina. I read a lot about a bias like this in illumina, about a random priming not so random, but of course, it's for RNA seq, and I do not understand why it happens with genomic data...
    I join a picture. I guess it's not a big deal, but i would like to understand.

Is anyone can help me to figured out what happen in my reads?
    Thanks a lot

Ben
    Attached Files

Was the library prepared with Nextera DNA Sample Prep? If so similar bias's have been reported

http://seqanswers.com/forums/archive...p/t-20561.html

Comment

The Nextera bias is generally more severe than that. It generally has a very distinct pattern in the first 15 bases. This looks pretty standard for a sample sheared with sonication.

Comment

Hi Another and kcchan,
        Thank you very much for the replies !
        I am not sure that the library was prepared with Nextera, i will asked. But i feel better to know this kind of bias is pretty standard in sequencing. SO you don't think I have to trim the first ten nucleotides.
        Tahnks again
        Ben

Comment

Hi benR,

just in case if you are still following this thread...
          I don't know the reason, but I observe similar bias in most (if not all!) our DNA libraries (example attached). We are using Truseq library prep and fragmentation with Covaris. So this is probably not the Nextera problem.
          Our bioinformaticians also had an idea that it would be better to trim these bases, but after we compared trimmed and non-trimmed data assembly we found that such trimming does not improve the results. So now we don't trim them.
          Attached Files

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses