Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TopHat Error: Could not find Bowtie index files /bowtie-0.12.5/indexes/.

Hello all,

I am using TopHat for the first time and it does not find my bowtie indexes. I have an old version of Bowtie installed; all the indexes that I need are there (I used it before, no problem). When I run TopHat, it gives the following error:

tophat -r 20 /bowtie-0.12.5/indexes /data_with_reads/sequence.txt

Error: Could not find Bowtie index files /bowtie-0.12.5/indexes/.*
    This directory actually contains all the bowtie indexes (all genomes that I used before). Should I reformat/rename/reorganize this old bowtie directory somehow?

Any help?
    Thanks!

The problem is that you need to specify in the command the name of the bowtie index in addition to the folder.

So, something like this instead:
    Code:
    tophat -r 20 /bowtie-0.12.5/indexes/genome_file_name /data_with_reads/sequence.txt

Comment

Originally posted by NM_010117 View Post
      The problem is that you need to specify in the command the name of the bowtie index in addition to the folder.

So, something like this instead:
      Code:
      tophat -r 20 /bowtie-0.12.5/indexes/genome_file_name /data_with_reads/sequence.txt
      Thank you for the suggestion. Do you know which of the following files in the indexes directory should be specified?

hg18.1.ebwt
      hg18.2.ebwt
      hg18.3.ebwt
      hg18.4.ebwt
      hg18.rev.2.ebwt
      hg18.rev.1.ebwt

Comment

You actually won't specify a file, but rather the base file name. So, in this case your command would be:
        Code:
        tophat -r 20 /bowtie-0.12.5/indexes/hg18 /data_with_reads/read_1.fastq /data_with_reads/read_2.fastq

Comment

Just "hg18", without the quotes. From the TopHat manual, you just specify the "basename", which I recall being hg18, or mm9, or whatever you're using. You can then set the PATH in the BOWTIE_INDEXES environment variable. If you're using bash:
          Code:
          export BOWTIE_INDEXES=/bowtie-0.12.5/indexes
          then you should be able to run your alignments:
          Code:
          tophat -r 20 hg18 /path/to/reads.fastq
          You can also set the BOWTIE_INDEXES variable in your .bashrc (or equivalent) if you'll be doing this often.

Comment

NM_010117, dpryan,
            Thank you, this helped!

Comment

Thank you, NM 010117. Your answer to rebrendi helped me.

Comment

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
                Just "hg18", without the quotes. From the TopHat manual, you just specify the "basename", which I recall being hg18, or mm9, or whatever you're using. You can then set the PATH in the BOWTIE_INDEXES environment variable. If you're using bash:
                Code:
                export BOWTIE_INDEXES=/bowtie-0.12.5/indexes
                then you should be able to run your alignments:
                Code:
                tophat -r 20 hg18 /path/to/reads.fastq
                You can also set the BOWTIE_INDEXES variable in your .bashrc (or equivalent) if you'll be doing this often.
                Hi,

Is there a command line option to specify the bowtie index path? Our indexes are stored in a different location from bowtie and have different names from the ususal. Using the methods you listed tophat --fusion... still cannot find its indexes --no matter what path and filename I list.

Joe White

Comment

You can just specify the path along with the base, so "/I'm/some/random/path/some_base" will work.

Comment

*All* index files with that specific base name have to be in the path (directory) that Devon mentions above.

Comment

tophat --color --quals fr-secondstrand Bowtie-directory/BOWTIE/ebwt_base -o NGR1_NGR2_1_thout genome NFN_run6_Transcriptoma_29102013_bcSample1_F3_NGR1.csfasta NFN_run6_Transcriptoma_29102013_bcSample1_F3_NGR2.csfasta NFN_run6_Transcriptoma_29102013_bcSample1_F3_QV_NGR1.qual NFN_run6_Transcriptoma_29102013_bcSample1_F3_QV_NGR2.qual

Beginning TopHat run (v2.1.0)
                      Checking for Bowtie
                      Bowtie version: 1.1.1.0
                      [2016-06-22 13:23:45] Checking for Bowtie index files (genome)..
                      Error: Could not find Bowtie index files (fr-secondstrand.*.ebwt)

the bowtie don't find the file index!

Comment

Look at the actual error message. Sure, it says it can't find them, but look at the names of what you're telling it your indexes are called. Hint: you can't just randomly put "fr-secondstrand" anywhere in the command.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                        • seqadmin
                          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                        0 responses