Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused about read duplicates after adapter ligation

Recently I am working on developing new methods for NGS PE library preparation. I am confused about PCR duplicates. It is obvious that duplicates will arise during PCR amplification dealing with low DNA input. How ever, when I think about PCR-free library preparation, one double-stranded DNA molecule is ligated 2 Y adapters at both left and right side. This results in 2 different single strand products:
    1. 5'-P5 - plus strand insert ssDNA -P7'-3'
    2. 3'-P7'- minus strand insert ssDNA -P5-5'

These 2 single strand products are actually duplicates since the insert ssDNA are fully complementary to each other and they could be both ligated to flow cell. This means even for PCR-free library, 50% of the reads are duplicates, theoretically both strand from one ds-DNA could be sequenced. however, when I dealt with fastq file after sequencing, the percentage of duplicates was much lower than 50%, as for PCR-free library, there was nearly no duplicates. Can anybody help me about this ?

One read pair will be the reverse-complement of the other read-pair. So they will not be considered "duplicates".
    Also, even if your software did consider these to be "duplicates" not all amplicon strands cluster. Various flowcells have different efficiencies.

If you cluster about 100ul of a 20pM library in one lane of a HiSeq 2500 you would get about 150-220 million pass filter clusters. To a first approximation "pM" is millions of molecules/ul. So about 2 billion molecules of your library would go into a HiSeq 2500 lane. So only about 20% actually cluster. So your chance of clustering both strands from a given amplicon would be 4%.

I think most other Illumina instruments cluster at a lower efficiency than than the HiSeq 2500.

--
    Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses