Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my previous workflow to go from solexa's sequence.txt to maq mapping went like this

maq sol2sanger s_1_sequence.txt w
    maq fastq2bfq w reads-1.bfq 2> /dev/null
    maq map -u lane1.unmapped reads-1.map maq.bfa reads-1.bfq 2> reads-1.map.log

and i would think that sol2sts2 would run on sequence.txt and the output would directly go to maq map..
    --
    bioinfosm

Comment

Can anyone clearly say that with solexa pipeline 1.3.4 output, do we need to convert 'maq sol2sanger s_1_sequence.txt s_1_sequence.fastq' and then proceed to 'maq fastq2bfq' command?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jkbonfield View Post
        The main problem with this new format is that it's now nigh on impossible to tell the difference between phred+64 and logodds+64 formats without resorting to a large amount of statistical analysis on the file contents.

It's easy enough to convert of course, but knowing precisely what format your input data is in is getting trickier by the day. Time for fastq to retire I think!

James
        The rationale for moving to phred+64 was that
        a) the phred scale is more standard and the logodds don't add much benefit for single quality scores (instead of 4 scores per base)
        b) the offset of 64 is what previous versions of the pipeline produced, so the idea was to follow the principle of least surprise.

Also the assumption was that for practical purposes, there is very little difference between logodds and phred when applied to a single quality value, so existing conversion scripts could easily be modified to accommodate qseq files.

Replacing fastq with something better would certainly help.

Cheers
        Klaus

Disclaimer: I work at Illumina.

Comment

Thanks for your help on this lparsons and everyone! Kinda sucks I have to go back and rerun some analysis, but thats the beauty of making bash scripts I guess.

EDIT: Just to clarify. Once I do sol2std2 my data is now in standard/Sanger FASTQ format -- I SHOULD NOT do sol2sanger. Right? Think I'm on board...
          Last edited by caddymob; 05-22-2009, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Ok I'm pretty new to this, and I cant get the code to work (both Iparsons and kmcarr's). I've edited the fq_all2std.pl correctly, but cant get the command right. So what is the exact command that has to be used?

Youri.

Comment

What sort of error are you getting? You should be able to use:

Code:
              fq_all2std.pl sol2std2 illumina_file.txt > standard_sanger_file.fastq

Comment

Originally posted by lparsons View Post
                What sort of error are you getting? You should be able to use:

Code:
                fq_all2std.pl sol2std2 illumina_file.txt > standard_sanger_file.fastq
                Note that alternatively there is Davide Cittaro's patch on the MAQ bug tracker which adds an ill2sanger option to MAQ itself:
                http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func...15&atid=938895

Also the OBF projects (BioPerl, Biopython, BioJava, BioRuby and EMBOSS) already or will support these conversions too.

Peter
                Last edited by maubp; 09-15-2009, 06:07 AM. Reason: fixing url

Comment

Thanks for the replies, apparently there was an mistake in the fastq file, that caused the converter to crash, got it working now.

Again, thanks for the help

Youri

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses