Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counting read depth using bedtools

I have sequenced a cell line exposed to UV and would like to know if any genes have been deleted compared to the ancestor. I extracted the CDS regions from the annotation file to annotation.bed and ran coverageBed in order to find the read depth at any given exon

coverageBed -abam DXB11.bam -b annotation.bed > depth.txt

the output for a particular domain was
    NW_003614442.1 464809 465646 158 837 837 1.0000000
    So 100% of the region 464809-465646 had a depth of 158 and that entire region of 837 bp was that depth, correct?

That that is very high as the theoretical depth should be 35. So i looked into the depth at every position of the genome
    /BEDTools-Version-2.16.2/genomeCoverageBed -d -ibam DXB11.bam > DXB11.coverage

and looked into the same region (464809-465646) and done this way it had a median depth of 18 = much more realistic.
    Are you able to see what i did wrong or maybe advice me another way of more easily getting to a median depth of each exon in the genome from a bam file?

Hi Kaas,
    I think 158 is the number of features that overlapped the interval, not necessarily fold coverage. I would recommend that you read The bedtools manual.

Default Output:
    After each entry in B, reports:
    1) The number of features in A that overlapped the B interval.
    2) The number of bases in B that had non-zero coverage.
    3) The length of the entry in B.
    4) The fraction of bases in B that had non-zero coverage.
    You may want to try -d or -hist options.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by rnaeye; 02-21-2014, 08:00 AM. Reason: additional information

Comment

Hi rnaeye

Thank you for you answer. I tried going through the description for genomeCoverageBed (http://bedtools.readthedocs.org/en/l.../coverage.html) and for genomecov (http://bedtools.readthedocs.org/en/l...genomecov.html) but had a hard time translating their bioinformatic terms into what conclusion i can make from my own data based on the results.

The number of features in A that overlapped the B interval = number of reads that are identified in the exon region i specify. But then you would expect at least some kind of correlation between the length of a given region and the depth coverageBed gives, right? because i do not see any correlation. That is the reason why I find this a bit fishy.

ok, i will use -d and extract the median from there

Comment

Hi,
        Try to google following search them "The BEDTools manual PDF"
        You can download a PDF version of user manual. I think it explains better. I guess you should calculate coverage per base and conclude it from there. have fun, best.
        Last edited by rnaeye; 02-21-2014, 10:30 AM.

Comment

read the help of bedtools coverage
          i think you can use -hist or -d option

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
          0 responses