No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novice at meta-transcriptomics

Dear all,
    I am a research fellow at Birmingham UK, looking to study meta-transcriptomics from colon biopsies in patients with colitis. I am very new to this but have had some sequencing experience with 16s and metagenomics (including library preparation). I am still trying to get my head around the different steps in order to successfully prepare cDNA libraries and I would be grateful for any help anyone can provide. So far I am able to successfully get RNA out of colon biopsies with a RIN > 8 and around 300ng/ul (total volume 50ul) with the current protocol that I am using. I have a few questions please:

1) The next step from what I understand is to remove host RNA and then enrich bacterial mRNA by removing rRNA. I have got two kits for these - Ambion MicrobeEnrich and MicrobeExpress for these steps respectfully, but havent yet used them.
    2) As I don't expect there to be a lot of bacterial mRNA should I use the Smarter standed RNA-Seq kit to make cDNA libraries?
    3) How many samples can I multiplex in a run? - We have a Hiseq and Miseq sequencing platforms. Is it just a matter of sequencing a few and seeing how much depth I have got?

Thank you again for any help you can provide!

Try to crunch some numbers.
    Assume X bacterial cells per host cell (e.g. 10, check literature) and then assume the RNA content of each cell (based on genome sizes).
    Then assume how good your kits are in removing host RNA and rRNAs (e.g. 99%)
    You can check in the Illumina specs how much read output each sequencer has. By using a simple excel file with above considerations (and modifying them), you will get a feeling for how many bacterial transcript reads your experiment will result under given circumstances.
    It really helps.

I did it that way once (after I got ****ty sequencing results) to explain to myself why only a tiny fraction of reads was of bacterial origin. The bacterial mRNA fraction is tiny and even after 99% enrichment it still might be tiny (as in my case). The important number here seems to be the ratio of bacterial cells to host cells (as in metatranscriptomics works well in infected tissue that is crawling with bacteria etc.). Be aware that my failure is 5 years old, so enrichment kits might have gotten better etc. Still, calculate it through.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses