Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still no one get this fragmentase to work?

Hi all,

seems like the NEBNext fragmentase isn´t the most popular enzyme in town.. Is there anyone in here who actually successfully use fragmentase on a routine basis?
    I had planned to use it for prepping a very large number of microbial genomes. If it doest really work, or if I have to optimize for every sample, I should find another way. I don´t think there is a Covaris E220 available anywhere close and S220 will be a hassle, and expensive...

cheers

Comment

We found no biases or difference between libraries after Covaris and fragmentase. If you have no possibility to use Covaris, fragmentase - best and cheapest variant. But I advise to prove length of fragments on each sample after treatment.
      Last edited by vtosha; 05-23-2013, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your reply!

I actually prepped 8 M. tuberculosis illumina libraries yesterday, as a preliminary test. Fragmentation was carried out with fragmentase. After final amplification and clean-up, all 8 eight libraries have a relatively constant size distribution (230-300). I attached my crappy cell-phone image....

More variation in concentration. I suspect that AMPure beads dont give a consistent elution efficiency, as the balance between dry and over-dry is a fine one...?

Cheers

Vehuardo

Comment

BTW, gel image

Couldn´t upload: too big. I´ll try again later, have no image edit software on this computer...

Comment

No need. I mean you should prove length just after treatment of fragmentase. I'm afraid, length of final libraries 250-300 too short for sequencing (length of insert 130-180). I recommend for bacterial libraries use insert 200-400 nt (350-550 final libraries). Try to use fragmentase with another time periods.

Comment

Of 3 tries with 15, 20, and 40 minutes on 8 diverse invertebrates (extracted with the Qiagen DNEasy kit) only one worked. The rest looked like unfragmented gDNA after even 40 minutes.

Comment

May be secondary structure of DNA too difficult for fragmentase. If 40 minutes does not help, use physical methods of fragmentation.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
                  Yesterday, 07:01 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses