No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downloading PVCam 2.7.9.2?

Hi folks,

We moved a new (well, new to us) GA-IIx into our lab. It's been in storage for a couple of years and I'm trying to set it up now.

I've been fighting with software installation, and I'm currently stuck at the point where the SCS installer is asking for a very specific version of the PVCAM software. It's supposed to come with the computer, but we didn't get the computer (NO idea where that thing went; I imagine it got repurposed), only the sequencer.

The SCS docs say that we should download Install_PVCAM_Update_2.7.9.2_20100106_162100.exe from icomm, but my icomm login doesn't give me access to that file. I've tried both 2.7.9.1 and 2.7.10 from Photometrics' site, but both versions of SCS I've tried (2.9 and 2.10) require this specific version.

Is there anybody who has this version of the PVCAM software that they'd be willing to put in a Dropbox for me? It would be much appreciated.

You are brave to try this without help from Illumina (I assume there is no contract, no field engineer support)? Do you know if the GAIIx was/is in working condition? Hopefully it was cleaned/thoroughly flushed before storage.

Comment

Since Illumina still appears to support GAIIx you should contact illumina technical support. As SCS clearly requires this as a pre-requisite they should provide the installer on request.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
        You are brave to try this without help from Illumina (I assume there is no contract, no field engineer support)? Do you know if the GAIIx was/is in working condition? Hopefully it was cleaned/thoroughly flushed before storage.
        Thanks for the reply! I'm not sure if we're brave or crazy, but I'll take brave.

No, no support any more. The lab manager tells me it was working and thoroughly cleaned by someone experienced before they put it into storage, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will still be working once we get everything set up.

We can call a field engineer, but we're in a bit of a penny-pinching state right now so we're trying to avoid that if at all possible. Do you know if Illumina will still support the instrument without a contract?

Comment

Update: It looks like they only provide software support if you subscribe to the "Basic Plan":

http://www.illumina.com/documents/su...data-sheet.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Alaina View Post
            We can call a field engineer, but we're in a bit of a penny-pinching state right now so we're trying to avoid that if at all possible. Do you know if Illumina will still support the instrument without a contract?
            At some point in time you may get to see inside one of these sequencers and will appreciate how thin the tubing is that connects various things. Let us hope all that was cleaned extremely well.

If you are serious about using this sequencer routinely you may want to get it checked and essentially reinstalled by an FSE as a one time cost. Optics will need realignment if this was moved (which it probably was).

AFAIK anyone can contact illumina tech support and asking for the PVCAM installer (for SCS) would be a reasonable thing to try.

Note: Ask for just the installer and make it clear that you are not requesting any technical support.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
              At some point in time you may get to see inside one of these sequencers and will appreciate how thin the tubing is that connects various things. Let us hope all that was cleaned extremely well.

If you are serious about using this sequencer routinely you may want to get it checked and essentially reinstalled by an FSE as a one time cost. Optics will need realignment if this was moved (which it probably was).

AFAIK anyone can contact illumina tech support and asking for the PVCAM installer (for SCS) would be a reasonable thing to try.

Note: Ask for just the installer and make it clear that you are not requesting any technical support.
              This is great information - thanks! I hadn't even considered something like alignment. I'll give them a call and see if we can schedule an engineer for a visit.

Comment

Got it!

GenoMax:

Thanks again for the advice! I called Illumina and they were very helpful - sent me the installer right away. Now to find service here in Israel....

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                  04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses