Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spliced alignment with BWA

Does anyone know how to do spliced alignment (i.e. with N's in the CIGAR string) on colour-space data with BWA? I've had no luck even with -e 100000 -O 2 -E 0: I don't get a single spliced alignment with those options. I've also tried a trial version of NovoalignCS but it crashes and haven't heard back from their developers. TopHat doesn't do colour-space. So basically I'm struggling to do intron-skipping gapped alignment on colour-space data at the moment... Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Can you confirm about tophat?

there's a webinar about solid data and tophat here

SOLiD™ RNA-Seq Data Analysis featuring TopHat and Cufflinks (1 hour)

If you do not get an answer now perhaps you can try the webinar.

I have to grapple with this soon as well. Do keep me posted on your findings

another resource you can check out is here

Cheers
    Kevin
    Last edited by KevinLam; 09-16-2010, 11:35 PM.
    http://kevin-gattaca.blogspot.com/

Comment

TopHat was supposed to add color space support during spring 2010, but there is no update to that effect on the homepage. It would be very nice if the support had in fact been added, as the SOLiD webinar title suggests.

I have had similar troubles with BWA and spliced alignments ("chimeras") using color space reads - I did get a few chimeric alignments but far less than expected (just a handful in total).

You might want to try the GEM library, which has a split read mapper which should work on color space reads.

Comment

Anyone actually used GEM for colorspace data? The documentation is, shall we say, sparse. I'm not clear how to set up the index

Comment

BTW, the webinar apparently isn't until the 29th, so perhaps TopHat support for colorspace is imminent.

Comment

There is an announcement on the TopHat homepage: It seems color space support has very recently been added.

Comment

Yups!

TopHat 1.1.0 release 10/03/2010
              This release of TopHat includes some major enhancements:
              TopHat now supports Colorspace reads from Life Technologies' SOLiD sequencer, thanks to the efforts of Daehwan Kim and Geo Pertea. Note that you will need to download a Colorspace Bowtie index to use TopHat with SOLiD reads. Colorspace Bowtie indices typically have "_c" in their name to distinguish them from nucleotide space indices.
              http://kevin-gattaca.blogspot.com/

Comment

This is good news but I've had no luck actually using it.

First of all, it throws an error if the .csfasta and .qual files have #-comments. I had to strip them out.

Second, prep_reads complains:
                "Saw a space but expected an ASCII-encoded quality value.
                Are quality values formatted as integers? If so, try --integer-quals.
                terminate called after throwing an instance of 'int'"

Yet --integer-quals was switched on (since I was using -C).
                Last edited by telos; 10-06-2010, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                  04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses