No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GATK indel raligner after bfast alignement

Hello,

i'm attempting to perform a pipeline to find out somatic mutations of tumor-normal samples sequenced by Illumina paired end reads (100 + 100). After the alignement, I want to do some additional steps (according for instance to http://www.broadinstitute.org/gsa/wi...th_the_GATK_v2), as RemoveDuplicates, Recalibration and Indel_Realignement.

The point is that I want to try the alignement by using bfast, which includes a localign step, in which as far as I know each read is aligned by Smith_Waterman algorithm (allowing gaps) for each CAL. So my question is: when using bfast alignement, is it necessary the GATK_indel_realigner step? I do not know if it is a non wise question, but I want to be sure of performing such GATK step since it's quite demanding and my cluster is not awesome at all.

Thank you for your feedback!

cheers
    david

When aligning you will only look at one read at a time, while with IndelRealignment all reads around a predicted indel will be looked at simultaneously. I would go ahead and try both and see what differences you get in your variant calls. If there's say a 1-2% difference, then maybe that wouldn't be enough to care.

Comment

thank you for your explanation, Heisman.

Then, I guess I have to try it. If the cluster and I are alive to get some results about this issue, I will post them in case anyone more is interested.

Thank you again!
      cheers
      David

Comment

Using the most recent GATK you do not have to do the complete SW realignment if your mapper already produced gapped alignments. See the documentation, there is a shortcut option that saves a little time.

Comment

I've just seen it, I will try the indel_realignement command of the latest GATK by using the "--consensusDeterminationModel USE_READS" argument, it seems exactly what I was looking for.

Many thanks!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses