Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snp calling between samples

There is a reference genome for subspecies A available. We did a resequencing for subspecies B and subspecies C using Hiseq 2000 and we'd like to know the SNP diversity(difference in allele frequency) between subspecies B and subspecies C.

We know there are substantial differences among subspecies A, B and C. So, what is the best way to find the SNP diversity between B and C? Should we do snp calling for subspecies B or C separately based on subspecies A reference genome (I used samtools) and then merge the results ? It seems to me we need a more efficient way to do the job but I don't know much (cortex ?).

Thanks in advance.

Align both samples to your best reference, then use samtools mpileup on both .bams together.

Comment

Thanks swbarnes2

Could you explain a little more why "use samtools mpileup on both .bams together" will work? In that case, we still need the reference genome from subspecies A, right?

Another thing is that: if there are more than 1 non-reference allels reported, the samtools only gives out the depth of the 1st non-reference allel (as listed in DP4). Also, although the 1/1 indicates homozygous alternate, I don't understand the meaning of the PL value which is "131,59,26,91,0,85" (as shown below). How can we get the depths and other information for the 2nd alternate ?

chr2 213263 . A C,T 72 . DP=14;VDB=0.0355;AF1=1;AC1=2;DP4=0,0,9,4;MQ=56;FQ=-60 GT:PL:GQ 1/1:131,59,26,91,0,85:63

Comment

Anyone can help?

Comment

Calling species B and C against the reference together just saves space. And yes, you will still need to use the reference genome. The output is slightly different however, so what you will get is an extra GT field:
          Code:
          chr2	213263	.	A	C,T	72	.	DP=14;VDB=0.0355;AF1=1;AC1=2;DP4=0,0,9,4;MQ=56;FQ=-60	GT:<Genotype of A>	GT:<Genotype of B>
          I'm pretty sure that the PL field is reporting the quality score of all of the allelic possibilities, which is why you see six of them. You will have to consult the documentation for how to get multiple sample depth information.
          Also, I find that the Broad Institute does a much better job documentation than does sourceforge or 1000genomes.org. Since samtools and gatk both use VCF as the standard output, you might want to start with the GATK documentation if not just switch to GATK altogether.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks Khen.
            If I undertand correctly, samtools is designed for diploid genome. If there are 2 alleles in your sample other than the allele in the reference genome (for example, the reference genome has a T, and you have a A and a G in your sample), samtool might not work well.

Is there any tool specifically designed to find allele frequency in your own samples regardless what is in the reference genome?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses