Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six reading frame question... why all contain ORF??

Hi,

So I have a conceptual question I'm trying to get my head around. I have some RNA-seq data and was trying to determine the ORF of each read. Of course a six reading frame translation of a given nucleotide sequence would be expected to have a significant ORF in at least one frame, as long as the sequence comes from a gene region.

However, I find short bits of sequences (my 150bp RNA-seq reads) that appears to have continuous ORFs on all 6 frames of translation without any stop codons at all... how can this be? Since there are 3 stop codons out of 64 possibilities, we should statistically see a stop every 21AA (63 bases) or so.

I realize this could be an anomaly, but this seems to be the case with about 10% of all my RNA-seq reads. I realize this could happen with repetitive sequence, but I don't think that is the case, since it is RNA-seq data.

Any thoughts or speculations are gladly welcomed!!

RNA-seq libraries are almost never full length; the strands are fragmented into shorter fragments before sequencing. Therefore the reads you get are only a portion of the full mRNA. If you want to get the complete AA sequence of an RNA, you'll have to assemble your reads back together first.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I understand this is just a small fragment of a whole mRNA, but for a span of 150 bases, I can't understand why we should find no stop codons on all 6 reading frames.

Comment

Originally posted by all_your_base View Post
        Since there are 3 stop codons out of 64 possibilities, we should statistically see a stop every 21AA (63 bases) or so.
        ...assuming the same frequency for each base, which is usually not the case. What is the GC% of this genome? Also, base distribution is not uniform and often differs between regions (gene/intergenic, exon/intron, etc). You might find GC-rich repeats in 3'UTRs for instance. Last, this subset of 10% might come from the same genomic locus.
        Have you first tried fastqc on your reads?

Comment

Originally posted by all_your_base View Post
          Since there are 3 stop codons out of 64 possibilities, we should statistically see a stop every 21AA (63 bases) or so.
          Bases and codons aren't randomly distributed, nor should one to expect them to be.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses