No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solutions for multiplexing/barcoding

Dear All,
    Can somebody point me out to a good and reasonably priced barcoding solution for illumina's MiSeq ? Are the adaptor sequences similar between MiSeq/HiSeq ? I found a barcoding generator by comai, but there is no protocol how to use it's output in a lab setting (probably very trivial question). I would assume that this is the cheapest solution. Bioo has a 96samp kit good for 768 reactions (question is how big rx they are talking about?) for 4995$. Are they the cheapest commercial solution ?
    Thanks in advance!

What application are you specifically looking at? RNA-Seq, DNA-Seq, ChIP-Seq, other...
    What level are you looking to plex (12, 48, 96, higher?)
    IMHO indexing primers are the most over-priced aspect of NGS. If you think you are going to be doing a lot of index library preparation, you may want to look at making your own.

Next-generation sequencing technologies have a massive throughput, which dramatically reduces the cost of sequencing per gigabase, compared to standard Sanger sequencing. To make the most efficient use of this throughput when sequencing small regions or genomes, we developed a barcoding method, whic …

We ordered a set of indexes based on the above paper and use them regularly for both indexed (and non-indexed runs - you don't need to read the barcode). It works to be significantly cheaper per reaction than buying commercially, but there is obviously a largish initial outlay on the HPLC oligos. (Of course, you don't need to order all 96 in one go - one synthesis should provide enough for hundreds of reactions).
    Those oligo sequences work well on the GAIIx, HiSeq and MiSeq - just remember to use the custom index sequencing primer.

There are also people on here dabbling with homebrew dual indexing, which is something we may look at in the future. It cuts the number of oligos you need to order down and will hopefully be scalable to >96 plex.
    Last edited by TonyBrooks; 10-15-2012, 04:03 AM.

Comment

for MiSeq amplicon work we use the 454 MIDs

Comment

indexes sequence for multiplexed > 96

Hello,
        We are interested in using dual indexing strategy for multiplexing more than 384 samples in one run on MiSeq instrument. Could we use the 48 indexes (6 bases) provided by Illumina for Truseq Small RNA sample prep as i7 indexes ? how to add 2 bases to these sequences to get unique 48 indexes ? We would use 8 i5 (as Nextera) indexes to reach 384 unique combinations. Do you think this strategy would work? Could we use more than 8 i5 indexes ?
        Thans for your help.

Comment

You could look at this paper from Sanger
          Next-generation sequencing technologies have a massive throughput, which dramatically reduces the cost of sequencing per gigabase, compared to standard Sanger sequencing. To make the most efficient use of this throughput when sequencing small regions or genomes, we developed a barcoding method, whic …

They use 96-plex 8-mer barcodes. You could use those sequences for your i7 indexes.

Comment

Thank you TonyBrooks for the info, I will read it carefully. Do you know why Illumina do not provide more i5 indexes to increase the number of multiplexes ?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses