Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to find out the base on a certain position

I've found a SNP on a certain position on a reference genome (eg chromosome 1, position 13579) by using bwasw and Samtools. Next, I want to find out what is the base on each of my other Sanger sequences. My other Sanger sequences may or may not cover this SNP position.

also with samtools mpileup.

Comment

Could you tell me more details on how to do it? Maybe give me an example command? Thanks!

Comment

Your question is not making sense. Perhaps you can expand on it? As far as I can tell you have (1) found a SNP -- that makes sense -- and (2) want to find out, exactly what?, on your other sequences.

Comment

I see that 'volks' responded. I think that he/she is answering the question that you probably meant to ask, which I would state as:

I have found a SNP on a chromosome. I would like to know for all of my sequences what base, if any, they have at that SNP position.

samtools mpileup is the answer for the above. See: http://samtools.sourceforge.net/mpileup.shtml

And, of course, the man page at: http://samtools.sourceforge.net/samtools.shtml
          Last edited by westerman; 09-08-2011, 09:17 AM. Reason: Added man page reference

Comment

I want to count the number of each wide-type and polymorphism on the same position among all the sequences which cover that position.

Comment

"wide-type"? I'll presume "wild-type".

I was assuming, and perhaps 'volks' was as well, that your Sanger sequences were mapped using bwa and that the information of this mapping is inside your BAM file. If so then 'samtools mpileup your_file' will get you the information you need. You can limit the positions via the '-l' option.

Comment

I tried the commands below. I'm sure the sample RN21 has SNP on chr_2:5556282. However, the output showed all the SNPs found in sample RN21. Same as without typing -l chr_2:5,556,282.

What did I miss?

samtools mpileup -uf Sorbil.fasta RN21.ab1.sorted.bam -l chr_2:5,556,282 | /mnt/E_DRIVE/samtools-0.1.17/bcftools/bcftools view -bvcg - > var.raw.bcf

bcftools view var.raw.bcf > var.flt.vcf

Comment

Hi Shuang,

You can use the -r option with a coordinate. You should also write the options before the bam file.
                  Ex: samtools mpileup -r chr1:38280656-38280656 file.bam

Emilie

samtools mpileup [options] in1.bam [in2.bam [...]]
                  -r STR Only generate pileup in region STR [all sites]

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses